help req fitting front storage/oddments tray

glock17

Have been trying for the last 30 mins or so to separate the metal and white bits from the orange plastic bit of the 12v supply/lighter socket.
I have pushed, pulled, prodded and squeezed but they will not part.

What am I doing wrong?
Does anyone have high res pics of the fitting?

Thanks

glock 17

Have been trying for the last 30 mins or so to separate the metal and white bits from the orange plastic bit of the 12v supply/lighter socket.
I have pushed, pulled, prodded and squeezed but they will not part.

What am I doing wrong?
Does anyone have high res pics of the fitting?

Thanks

glock 17

They are extremely stiff - I can remember that from when I did Tanks a couple of years ago. Persevere and you'll get there.

By the way, I also cut slots into the central tunnel to take the clips, rather than cutting them off and relying on velcro or the like. True, it's a little more fiddly, but it makes for a more secure fit. You just have to be certain of where you are cutting.

I used a Dremel to do the job and don't worry, there's no wiring directly under there to cut through, just noise insulating felt.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks guys, I've all but given up now, contemplating buying new bits to go in the tray instead!
I did use a dremel too Mike but only to cut those tabs off unfortunately.

Will try a bit more then will jump up and down on it!

Cheers

glock17

glock,
I have been replacing a few bits of worn trim, including handbrake cover, stowage, handbrake handle etc over the last few days, and I have had similar probs with the orange and metal bits.
As skipton says they are incredibly stiff.
I found by really squeezing the metal cig holder with pliers near the springy lugs it does eventually prise off.
The squeezing of it however makes the fit of the cig lighter stiffer afterwards (trying it before you refit the whole thing)
I therefore bought a new cig lighter holder part no. 4B0 919 305B which is an upgraderd version which is chrome rather than black around the lip, and comes with a 'fatter' cig lighter. cost £6
cheers
glen

I did use a dremel too Mike but only to cut those tabs off unfortunately.

NNnnnnoooooooo!!!!

Well, never mind, but if you want to save yourself the grief of removing said parts, they cost about £4.50 from the dealers.

Cheers,

Mike

I went back to it with thoughts of taking it to the range and putting a few .40 cal through it when the parts magically fell out!

It is now fitted and looks very well.

Previously the cigarette lighter wouldn't work, but sat nav would. The lighter is now working, though some adjustment may be needed as it has also been warming the plastic in the area too. Have made sure the lighter is sitting proud to avoid a recurrence.

Passat sunglasses holder has also been fitted after being trimmed with the Dremmel.

Next on list is TT pedals.
May try carrier bag hooks as well, though I'm not sure where they could be screwed to in the boot.

Thanks again for all the advice.

glock17

I had ordered a new lighter from the stealer along with the bracket for the spacesaver. All items came in today apart from 2 bolts.

I opened the delicate little box that the lighter was in and found the whole damn assembley!

Laugh? I nearly . . .

Cheers

glock17

I had ordered a new lighter from the stealer along with the bracket for the spacesaver. All items came in today apart from 2 bolts.

I opened the delicate little box that the lighter was in and found the whole damn assembley!

Laugh? I nearly . . .

Cheers

glock17

Talking about the ligher socket mine popped up for the first time since I had the car. It must be the hot weather now I can try the elec socket out :)

Laugh? I nearly . . .

Cheers

glock17

glock, how much did you pay for the bracket?
For ref I paid £5 odd (got a2 owner discount) for the lighter
cheers
Glen

Bracket working out about £28+VAT.
Lighter (including its internals) was £6.60 +VAT.

Lighter on its own currently for sale on ebay for £9!

Birthday money nearly all spent now!

Cheers

glock17

Spare wheel mount woes

Hmm,

Never thought the bracket would be so much trouble. Aside from the screws at the bottom of the bracket disappearing under the battery every time you touch them I have ground to a halt.

There are two holes at the top near the battery where the top of the bracket fixes to. Unfortunately there is no thread in these holes for the bolts (coach type) to screw on to.

Has any other retro bracket fixer had this trouble and/or does anyone have a part number for these threads?

Thanks

glock17

Back