HELP: Sports Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigshow

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a A2 1,4Tdi. The seller says that it has "sports suspension", the problem is that he doesnt know how to prove that it indeed does have this type of suspension. He himself was told the same thing by the previous owner, again without any justification.

My question the following; is it possible to check in some way that this A2 really has sports suspension or not?

Please reply asap, thanks in advance
--
Bigshow

Hi bigshow,

Last week I bought myself an A2 1.4 TDi Sport. This model has Quattro GmbH sports suspension fitted as standard. So... If you can be sure that it is a TDi Sport, then you can be pretty sure that it will have the sport suspension I guess.

The distinguishing features of the TDi Sport are the 17" 9-spoke alloy wheels, the sports seats with electric lumbar support, the 3-spoke leather steering wheel and the leather handbrake and gear-knob.

Also, I test drove an SE model before buying the Sport. The SE does not have the sport suspension and the ride is much softer. Try and test drive an SE to make a comparison.

I'm sure that someone in the know could peer at the actual suspension and tell you what it is, but I wouldnt have a clue where to start there!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Hi again,

Thanks for the help Phil

Well its currently on wintertires and the summertires are on 16" wheels, but the alloys for summer are new so maybe they have been changed.

It does have leather seats with sidesupport, does this qualify as "sports seats"?

The drive was pretty hard, but then again i dont have anything to compare it to since this was the first A2 ive ever driven. I will check out the steering wheel, but what did you mean by "electric lumbar support" on the seats? Do you mean electric seats?

Other than that it has everything but the Navigation-system, leather, climate controll, electric windows (front and back), open sky etc

Thanks again,
--
Bigshow

Hi again bigshow,

Electric lumbar support is this; When seated in the front, reach down between the door and the seat. At just below thigh height you will find a small rocker switch that is oval in shape. Rocking this switch forward will increase the level of lumbar support, and rocking it backwards will reduce the support. You will be able to feel the support in your lower back.

I guess the sports seats can be upholstered in leather as an option?

The Sport model also comes with the Drivers Information System (DIS) as standard. DIS provides average and actual fuel consumption, speed, mileage etc, and appears in the center of the dashboard. If you can see this information and scroll through the readouts by using the control on the end of the wiper stalk, then this A2 has DIS. However, this can be fitted as an option to non-sport models!

If your really unsure, then perhaps you could ask the seller if you can get it checked over at an Audi dealer/workshop?

There is a label that is attached to the inside front cover of the cars manual, and also underneath the rear ashtray-like compartment that provides details of the cars factory manufactured specification. I may be way off course here, but you might be able to use that information to get some further information about the car from Audi?

Thats me run dry on knowledge here I'm afraid!

Winter tyres? Hmmm are you posting from the UK Bigshow? Cause if you're not the Sport spec may be different on the Contintent... they also have a few different spec levels...

If you give Audi the chassis number etc they will be able to tell you exactly what spec the car left the factory with inluding the full service history...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Hey,

Thanks for the ongoing help guys;)

Right i'm not posting from the UK but from Norway, and the car i'm thinking of buying is a import from Germany. Guess that doesnt make it any simpler.

I will ask the owner for the chassisnr though, it sounds like a good idea. But i'm still open for suggestions:)

Will a posting of the car give you guys a hint?
Thanks again
--
Bigshow

A posting of the car will help, if it is in german, no problem...:)

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Hi guys,

Here's a pic of the car (with the summer alloy wheels), hope it helps

As i said earlier, its a german car, so i don't know about version differences from the UK, but i still hope that you guys can mark out something:)

Thanks again
--
Bigshow

Uhm, the image links to something on your local 'My documents' folder. That won't work, it has to be 'online' somewhere. Maybe the admin can help out here. StuartD, RunBoy?

Anyway, about the suspension.

All options and outfittings on any A2 are listed as 'codes' on the sticker on the inside of the service booklet (or one of the others that come with the car). It looks like a grid/matrix, printed with one of the old-style dotmatrix type printers.
The codes range from engine to gearbox to sport seats to heated mirrors etc etc. So the suspension SHOULD be in there somewhere, if you know what to look for.
I once saw a short list on a German forum. It allowed me to verify things like 'no heated mirrors'.

Maybe you could ask a dealer for explanation on the codes. They SHOULD be knowledgeable about them. You do have access to the booklets, don't you? (since it's not your car yet)
In the meantime, I'll see if I can retrieve the list again. Tried that yesterday, but failed, so if you can get to a dealer for explanation: that would probably be the fastest, for now.

Good luck.

Edo

--
Edo
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

swiv-goodpoint

bigshow-if you submit the picture to Stuart (details on the A2OC main website) then he can put them up and you can link from there. Failing that you can put the picture on some free webspace and post the link so we can all see!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Image posting - Take 2

I have the chassisnumber and i'll get the servicebooklet tomorrow, hope this will answer some of the questions.

A2_MayBe_Buy.jpg

--
Bigshow

[3]
Looks like an SE to me. 16" wheels and not lowered.
[3]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

"SE", is that a version without sports suspension? And is it only the S-line that has this extra option?

Im posting another pic of the car just so you guys can come with more info on the model I will visit my local Audi dealer and have them take a look at the chassisnumber.

A2_MayBeBuy2.jpg

In Germany there is no "SE" version, the S-Line-Version (with Sports supspension) has the little S-Line bdages behind the rear doors, but the sport suspension could be ordered without the S-Line-Package from 8/2002 onwards.
When was this car built?

Bye, Frido.

----
My A2OC pics Homepage

Comparing the photo's to my own car (which has the same alloys and is an 'SE', or 'Exclusive' as they called in here in Holland in 2003), this car does not look any lower than mine. The low point of view in both photos makes it a bit more difficult to judge (you tend to look inside the wheel arches, making the space between arche and wheel look bigger).
I'd still say: not lowered. But the sport suspension is only 1 or 2 cm....
The ride quality should give it away too. Everybody says that the GmbH sport suspension is rock hard. In my opinion, the 'normal' suspension certainly doesn't feel that way.
Moreover, here in Holland you can normally only get the sports suspension complete with half-leather seats with electrical lumbar control, other leather interiors parts AND the 9 spoke 17" alloys. I don't see why anyone would remove those from the 'package' and put the 16" on.
In Holland, color-coded door handles and mirror (ie not matte black) are 'Exclusive'. The shown 16" alloys are optional again, but cheaper when bought in combination with 'Exclusive'.

These differences between countries makes it confusing ;)

I still think the sticker inside the Service Plan booklet should tell it all.... (haven't found the details yet).

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and still not chiptuned by Abt, #$%$&!

FOUND IT!

Look at the page below

http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=158&sid=&hilight=Sportfahrwerk

According to me, if you have 1GD in the codes in the service booklet sticker, then you should have the 'Sportfahrwerk', ie Sport suspension.

So look in the service booklet, inside of the cover and scan the small print for 1GD.
My sticker does not have it. And that's ok, because I don't have the suspension.
IMO, the only way in which it could be present but not listed, is if it was fitted as an aftermarket thing. Not likely, I guess. Not the real Quattro GmbH stuff, at least.

Good luck,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and still not chiptuned by Abt, #$%$&!

WOW, i have to say that you guys are really incredible!

With your help i'm now able to conclude that this car does NOT have sports suspension. Its not coded in the servicebooklet either (thanks swiv;)

But now the question if i should buy this A2 or not, hmmm, i think i'll as you guys some more questions since i've experienced a great response on my previous questions.

Do you guys think that the lack sports suspension is a good enough reason to not buy this car? I mean i've checked the car personally and i love the interior + exterior. It also has all the extras that i want in my new car, and i'm still pretty sure that i want the car.
So should i drop it or is the A2 a still fabulous car without the sports suspension?

Maybe i should ask for some cut in the price, does anyone know what the sports suspension costs as a extra while buying a new car?

Idiotically speaking, somehow i know that i'll buy the car regardless of the missing special suspension, i'm pretty much already in love with the car:) Is that a bad think i wonder...

--
Bigshow

quote:I don't see why anyone would remove those from the 'package' and put the 16" on.
:) When I got my A2, the first thing was to remove the 17" wheels and switch them for the 16"ers...

Bye, Frido.

----
My A2OC pics Homepage

Nice work bigshow.

Personally, I prefer a firmer ride (oo-er!), but I think you'll find that the slight majority of forum members here would disagree with me. Having looked over many posts before I bought my A2 Sport, it seems that most prefer the SE or standard suspension set-up.

In any case, I'm sure that suspension should not feature too high up on your list of factors when trying to decide on the car. If you like the ride, who gives a damn if its 'sports' or not?! If your sure its a good car with a clean history then go for it. I'm sure you'll love it!

Well, BigShow, deciding to buy a car or not is not a small deal. Very personal. So I'm not going to interfere with that, other than saying that it does look as though the car has a lot of options that can certainly be appreciated. The lack of the (real Quattro GmbH) sport suspension is not a big deal, IMHO; but that's personal taste once again.

As for the price of the suspension, by itself (so without the seats and all other goodies you get in Holland): I don't know. The full package costs about 3500 euro, but that includes much much more than just suspension.

If you fit an aftermarket sport suspension, that would set you back considerably less. For example, Abt Germany has a package that costs about 250 euro for the springs (-35 to 40 mm, mind you!) and another 350 euro for fixing them to your car. http://80.81.7.110/htm/function.asp?ID=110&Par1=8Z0400020 and http://www.abt-sportsline.de[url] (...w Amp) and still not chiptuned by Abt, #$%$&!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back