Hi all - new to A2 - looking for TDi

Timmyo

Hi folks, after writing my Mazda 323F off i a minor (ahem) rear-end shunt last week I have been researching a new car and everything is saying A2!!!!!

So....I've averaged 20k miles a year last three years, which I'd say splits up something like this:
Motorway - 60-70% including 3 commutes of 75 per day each week and 4 or 5 500 mile trips per year
General running about, school run, shopping, etc etc 30%
Long runs on twisty A and B roads up through from South to North Wales 10%

On my own in car 70%
Me and my 6 year old daughter 20%
Me and daughter plus one or two other adults 10%
Cant remember when I last needed to get 5 people in a car!!!

I do need to carry "stuff" for work, oars for boat, occasional bike, surfboard but usually this is all when on my own...so figuring I can cram all that in the car with seats down plus a roof box if necessary

I NEED good fuel economy, plus reliability and lowish maintenance costs (cause I am on a tight budget) but I like a bit of style, build quality (hence Audi!) and a bit of poke especially for getting past things on windy Welsh roads....I hate sluggish cars!

I'm not new to Audi - I used to have an A4 Avant 2.5 TDi Quattro...loved it but I was earning twice as much then and could afford the diesel costs!!

So...I'm definitely thinking Audi A2, TDI, four seats (more options?) not sure whether to go with 75 BHP or 90.....some of you seem to recommend remapped 75?
Any advice welcomed...obviously I'm thinking FSH, few owners etc....but, is it better to go with an older lowish mileage or a new high mileage ?
My budget will be about £3k for purchase

Tim

Last edited:
Hi,

Welcome to a great club and congratulations on finding out just how special the A2 can be.

I would recommend a 4 seater for sure, the 5 seater rear seat is VERY heavy and so trickier to remove than the individual rear seats. Plus you can just take one out and leave the other one in there.

The 75 BHP tdi is going to be easier to find and responds well to a remap. A remapped 90 though is a nippy little car!!!

Your budget sounds sensible enough.

Check out the links on the how to "mechanical" section for a list of useful threads including what to look out for when buying an A2.

Looking forward to hearing about the A2 you manage to buy!!!

Steve B

Back