Hi, looking to buy an A2

D

dha2

Evening all; newbie here, so please take it easy with me.

I'm seriously considering buying this car, but it seems a little overpriced.

It's also some distance from me, so before travelling, I wondered if anyone else had been to see it and decided against it and if so why?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans...c-roof-maintained-by-audi-engineer/1143826783

The cambelt and water pump was changed at 80k, so how soon would it need doing again (current mileage is 111k)?

Hi,

It is not cheap, but if it is as avertised it could be a great little buy!!

The cambelts should be changed as early as you can afford it. They degrade with age and so it is not just about the mileage covered.

I personally would change it every 40K or every 3 or 4 years maximum.

I have had an A2 that lost its cambelt and it was over £1,000 of damge caused.

Welcome to the club, that is two great decisions, one to buy an A2 and the other to joj this friendly and helpful club.

Steve B

Thanks, it also has the full dis. The only downside seems to be the scuffed wheels, but presumably they can be repaired fairly cheaply.

My alternative is this

Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE 5dr
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca..._medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

..but conversely that seems cheap!

I'm after an A2 for my daughter, so ideally a maximum of £2500ish to purchase something that needs no work and can be sold on fairly easily if needs be in the future should she decide not to take it to university.

Thanks, it also has the full dis. The only downside seems to be the scuffed wheels, but presumably they can be repaired fairly cheaply.

My alternative is this

Audi A2 1.4 TDI SE 5dr
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca..._medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

..but conversely that seems cheap!

I'm after an A2 for my daughter, so ideally a maximum of £2500ish to purchase something that needs no work and can be sold on fairly easily if needs be in the future should she decide not to take it to university.

Scuffed wheels are almost impossible to avoid and they can be refurbed from around £30 a wheel upwards (or it can be a DIY job, even I managed to do it!)

Steve B

The second car you linked seems ok too, although DIS is a really nice option, it can be retrofitted but if you can find one with DIS and a working roof, you have a great base to start with.

Steve B

Difficult choice I suppose. I think the 2001 is just about priced right but the 2002 is a little high. "serviced by an Audi engineer" is not always a good thing judging by my own experience with Audis repair services many years ago. Lets hope its not the guy in the Tesco T shirt.
I would certainly ask about their reasons for sale.

James

Wow, thank you so much for the swift and helpful replies.
In reality when looking at each I don't know what I'm looking for so more tempted by the cheaper one as if anything does go wrong there'll be money in the 'pot' to address it.

I recently posted a similar thread to this on the new Beetle forum asking for some buying advice when I was considering buying the Beetle convertible for my wife.

Have a guesshow many responses I got in 10 days...........diddly squat!!! IIt's times like that that make you realise just how helpful this club is and what a great thing it is to be a member.

Sorry for the thread swerve but I thought it worth mentioning.

I recently posted a similar thread to this on the new Beetle forum asking for some buying advice when I was considering buying the Beetle convertible for my wife.

Have a guesshow many responses I got in 10 days...........diddly squat!!! IIt's times like that that make you realise just how helpful this club is and what a great thing it is to be a member.

I can help you with that one Steve, it's not complicated that ......Don't do it! lol :)

Sarge

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that comment, that is exactly how I feel about this great club too, a constructive swerve is not a problem!!

Steve B

Last edited:
My wife's on her third new beetle; the last two being convertibles - they're great fun

My wife's on her third new beetle; the last two being convertibles - they're great fun

Watch out when you have bought the A2, youmay bith squabble over who gets to drive the A2, they are so much fun to drive.

I bought one for my wife back in 2001 thinking I wouldn't want to drive it, how wrong I was.

At one point I had three cars on the drive two of which were luxury cars and I always choe the A2 whenever going anywhere and I always insisted on driving.

Watch out for the A2 Bug (rather that the VW BUG, pun intended)

Steve B

Watch out when you have bought the A2, youmay bith squabble over who gets to drive the A2, they are so much fun to drive.

At one point I had three cars on the drive two of which were luxury cars and I always choe the A2 whenever going anywhere and I always insisted on driving.

Watch out for the A2 Bug (rather that the VW BUG, pun intended)

Steve B
That's the problem - when I've bought one - not easy with most being the other end of the country and quickly snapped up

That's the problem - when I've bought one - not easy with most being the other end of the country and quickly snapped up

if you ask for help you might find that a friendly member local to the car could have a quick look at it for you to tell you if it is worth the journey.

I work near (2 miles) the first car but I would not know when I could pop over and have a look for you, but others might have the time.

Steve B

Gosh that would be great, but seems a bit cheeky? one is in Harrow, the other in Leeds, I don't know how I'd track down members near to each but it would certainly put my mind at ease.

Gosh that would be great, but seems a bit cheeky? one is in Harrow, the other in Leeds, I don't know how I'd track down members near to each but it would certainly put my mind at ease.

No Guarrantees, but I am sure that if we have a member near those locations with some time available someone may well offer, I have done that many times myself recently.

Steve B

Same goes here for cars in south east Wales.

Ditto. Don't discount a potential buy on distance. If you see something attractive in the Scottish central belt I'm happy to take a
look at it for you within a 50 mile or so radius from home.

Back