hi me again, a2 help please

went and test drove a 1.4 petrol today in denim blue,60 k f.a.s.h

drove like a dream ,cant find much wrong with it except the clutch bites really high,is that common ,as obviously i havent driven that many,dont wanna have to shell out on a new clutch after buying it!!
cheers dan
ps where is the spare wheel???or do some come with the a can of that tyre crap instead??it has battery,jack,inflator etc in boot floor and instructions on how to change wheel,but i could nt see the spare anywhere,am i being a complete arse???

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

We have both a 1.4 petrol and TDI and I can't say that I have noticed the biting point as being particularly high on either car. I would therefore say that this is not a "characteristic" of the A2, but I don't know enough to say that this is a fault with this particular vehicle either.

The spare wheel was as I understand it a "no cost" option and those who chose not to specify the optional spare were supplied with the puncture repair can instead. The benefit of not carrying a spare is better fuel efficiency, but I prefer the security of knowing that I can still get home if I ever have a punctured side wall myself.

The official spare wheel is fairly expensive; a high proportion of owners choose to buy a second hand 15 or 16" rim and use this as a spare instead.

Hope this answers your query to some degree.

As a side issue and in respect to other users of this forum, can I kindly ask that you refrain from using bad languauge in your posts, even if it is somewhat censored. I have taken the liberty of removing the offending phrase.

Thanks.

Darren

Last edited:
ok thanks for the advice
theyve taken the lupo in px and we can collect it thursday!!once its serviced ,taxed and mot'd and a check strap is fixed
it is a model without spare wheel so i think i will be investing in a spare as i too prefer knowing its there.
re the clutch ,the dealer is and ex audi salesman and says its normal,if there are any issues he says he ll sort it ,which is good enough for me

apologies for the 'language' not come across censorship on car related forums before ,i normally self censor anyway but i didnt realise a2 owners were a sensitive bunch?
id better not come to any meets then or ill be 'run outta dodge' lol

thanks again for the help,its much appreciated and ill post some pics when i get it home
cheers
dan

apologies for the 'language' not come across censorship on car related forums before ,i normally self censor anyway but i didnt realise a2 owners were a sensitive bunch?
id better not come to any meets then or ill be 'run outta dodge' lol

thanks again for the help,its much appreciated and ill post some pics when i get it home
cheers
dan

Hi Dan
There is very little which gets censored on this site but we have many female members and a few young A2 fans whose parents own Audis. Most would probably not bother about a bit of 'language' but this is a family site and we just dont want to risk offending anyone.

No need to be checking the times of the Deadwood stage as we have not banned anyone yet.

Cheers Spike

Thanks Dan and good luck with your new purchase.

I think Spike has replied to the censorship very well and this is exactly my rationale behind my comments/actions. I'm certainly not "whiter than white" myself and equally I don't offend easily by the use of bad language; but like everything there is a time and a place and as Spike quite rightly points out, this is a family orientated forum.

We are all a very friendly bunch and we make no judgements on people, nor do we stereotype people either. You would be most welcome at any of the social gatherings and I'm sure that you would fit in very well.

Happy motoring.

Darren

hope it is not too late. It is normal for high clutch bite, because the clutch plate is probably nearing the end of life! I would check if there is any clutch slip. I've had it done at 47k miles when the bite was high. The clutch plate had nothing left! Done with new cambelt for about £650. With 60k miles, you're probably looking at new cambelt soon anyway if not done already.

hi again

cheers for the link ill look into that,i broached the subject of the clutch with the dealer and he says if it does go soon after i buy it he'll pay the labour charges?
the cambelt has already been done so thats good,cant wait to collect it

re the language i was only messing about ,the new beetle club im a member of is much the same as it too is an unusual car that attracts the whole family so thats quite a restrained forum but normally self policed.

thanks

dan

If I am not mistaken, Darren, that is not an official A2 spare. The no-cost A2 spare tyre is a collapsable wheel, that one on ebay is a common space saver spare. You can see what the collapsable looks like from the fitting guide (with the official bracket, not two bits of wood)

I'm not going to pre-judge the seller, I don't know how much are those from the dealers (any price is possible) but that wheel cannot possibly worth £99 as I've bought an unused one just like that from a tyre fitter for £35! I can do with his two bits of wood for fitting though, but not at £99 obviously ;-)

If I am not mistaken, Darren, that is not an official A2 spare. The no-cost A2 spare tyre is a collapsable wheel, that one on ebay is a common space saver spare. You can see what the collapsable looks like from the fitting guide (with the official bracket, not two bits of wood)

I'm not going to pre-judge the seller, I don't know how much are those from the dealers (any price is possible) but that wheel cannot possibly worth £99 as I've bought an unused one just like that from a tyre fitter for £35! I can do with his two bits of wood for fitting though, but not at £99 obviously ;-)

You may well be right Humps. A cursory glance of the wheel and to my untrained eye, it very much looked like an "inflated" official spare.

I have never had cause, (thankfully), to inflate my collapsible spare; so I assumed this is what it looks like inflated.

Good call non-the-less Humps; I certainly wouldn't want to be part of misleading a fellow club member into buying something that it isn't.

Darren

hi cheers for the links

would that type of space saver still fit the a2 ok though?? as i can

get one of those through a friend at vw very cheap?? anyone got a pic of the collapsible o.e one???sounds scary though!!collapsible wheel??wt*???

sarge im in andover hampshire

4 .5 days and counting !!!!but my wife is going through colour samples to see what colour she wants it trimming in now! will it never end lol

thanks again
dan

I can do with his two bits of wood for fitting though, but not at £99 obviously ;-)

the way i read it he wants to sell the 2 wood bits separate and in addition to the £99 price of the wheel "for an agreed buy it now price". i would of thought a fiver was a decent price, what else will he do with 2 bits of wood cut to fit fit a car he doesn't own anymore !!

the way i read it he wants to sell the 2 wood bits separate and in addition to the £99 price of the wheel "for an agreed buy it now price". i would of thought a fiver was a decent price, what else will he do with 2 bits of wood cut to fit fit a car he doesn't own anymore !!

LOL, I was joking about the wood, of course.

FYI, those spare wheels fit the A2 as long as they are 5x100mm bolt pattern. I've used it before. In fact, mine looks just like that size-wise. I secure mine with those elastic ties with a hook at the end against the silver cargo net hooks in the boot.

humps ,thats what i was thinking of doing too,will go on the hunt for a 5x100 space saver then!
im sure i can cobble something together and trim it so it looks like its meant to be there ,unlike his half arsed wood thing

cheers dan

Back