HID Conversion Kit for £180 inc VAT!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipton01

Admin Team
If I can get 50 of us together, I can get the above price on a pukka HID light kit, all in, including postage. I've managed to get this price through hard negotiation with a Taiwanese company, Techone. Their kits are fully E-approved for use in the whole of Europe, so what do you say?[25]

Please get in touch quick, as they will only hold this price for the next month or so.

Mike

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

Seems like a very good price. Do you have any more information on this Techone product? Also, does anyone know how these HID units compares to the more affordable Orsram bulbs/ or similar?

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Take a look at http://www.techone.com.cn/product1.html

All the technical specs are there. Also note the picture in the top right hand part of the page - it's the same as the one used by VAG parts, in their advertisement of HID kits. Could it be that they are both the same product?

A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!) Soon to be TDi 90 Sport with the full monty and red leather!

Hey Skipton01, I'm in, 180 is a very good price! I have to say after seeing Shaf's car at castle coombe, I was very impressed with the HID he installed and it certainly looks very smart even i only saw it in daylight! BTW, the web page is a bit dodgy saying the colour temp is 5000K to 10000K on the HIDs...

Hey Will, I would say the replacement 'blue/white' bulbs aren't that great. I haven't got it for my A2 but a couple of my friends installed them (the more expensive PIAA bulbs) and I saw the result. Yes they are white and blue-ish but not crystal like what Shaf has got; you can just tell they are not factory fit and very much a wanabe. May be its because they are H4 and the lamp housing/reflector in the older Civic and 306 are not as good as the A2. But even a factory fit HID on the Vectra looks very nice.

humps
1.4SE Cobalt Blue, Bose and leather

Three colour temperatures are available: 6000k, 8000k and 10000k. I've just completed a bank transfer for an evaluation sample of the 8000k, H7 model. When it arrives, I will post photos, but things really need to move fast then, if I am to secure this price.
I'm not in the habit of ripping people off - charging people £180, then saying 'oh, I need another £30, because the price has increased'. I will only accept funds from members, once we have 50 firm buyers. So, spread the word, let's get together and save some serious money![24]

For the Europeans among us, 180 British Pounds equals to 267,85 Euro's.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

I'm interested at that price - subject to your evaluation being positive.

@Will: If you're interested as well perhaps we could install them together...

[img=left]http://www.santorini.dsl.pipex.com/a2_avatar.gif[/img=left]Mark.
2003 Azure Blue 1.6 FSI SE

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

Yes the price looks good and I think I'm interested, though I'd like to do some for research before comitting.
How are the payments to be made and goods received? I'm sure you're trustworthy Skipton, but I just don't want to give you £180 without some reasurance :) Thanks.

@mark: Yes sounds like a plan. We can make all the errors on your car then get my car right first time ;) Maybe get Ade over too for some advice?

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

I'll help if you require any advice or assistance when fitting.

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Am I right in thinking this kit doesn't include a levelling mechanism?

OpenSky | Climate Control | DIS | Isofix + brat | Space-Floor-Box | Satellite Cloth
Electric Rear Windows | Symphony II | Winter Pack | Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

You're right Mark - there isn't a levelling mechanism. Thing is, the discharge envelopes have an H7 base, so they fit into the housing for the original bulb. This housing is controlled by the original levelling mechanism fitted to the A2's headlight unit. So, just alter things as per normal, with the thumbwheel on the dash.

As for transfer of funds, two ideas spring to mind: 1, pay vial PayPal, so you can use a credit card and are covered in case of non-delivery of the goods, or 2, send the money to Stuart, who will hold it until we have 50 members on board, at which point he can forward it to me so I can order the kits in.
As I'm sure you can understand, 50 times £180 is a lot of dosh! (£9000 to be precise) and it's an amount that I don't just have lying around, whereby I can send it off for kits which I might not get paid for. So it has to work both ways and I'm sure that somewhere, we can work out a way that is acceptable to both parties.
Anyone else got an idea? [30]

My concern about the levelling mechanism (real-time, not manual adjustment) is that, as I understand it, HID lamps are illegal without this and a cleaning mechanism - i.e. £60 fine + 3 points - not to mention being an MOT failure and a nice get-out clause for an insurance company in an accident. Not meaning to rain on this parade but that's my understanding of the implications - though obviously you could swap the halogens back in for the MOT [9]. Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree here?

Cheers,

Found this on tyresmoke

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have received the following guidance from The Department of Transport.........

Dear Sir,

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Hope that helps.

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

Well, that's cleared things up (I think!).

As for E-mark approval, the ECE approval number is E13*10R00*10R02*2299*00, washing is not a problem, as correct maintenance of headlights does not absolutely stipulate a washer system. The only possible problem is the self-levelling mechanism. I'm pretty sure that the system currently fitted to all A2's will do - perhaps Shaf can shed some light (pun intended), or is he driving around illegally?[6]

I think there is a difference between the manual system fitted to our A2's and system mentioned above which is dynamic and constantly adjusting the light height so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

b****r it! I'll fit the evaluation sample, which I'm hoping will be here sometime in the next 10 days and post some photos. If there are enough people interested, then I'll place an order, otherwise I'll just enjoy the increased performance for myself this winter!

There was the option of having HID factory fitted on the first model year of A2 production, but it was either £800 or £900!!!!!! Can't find my original price list at the moment, but with prices like that, it's no wonder that they removed it from the options after only a year.

quote:Originally posted by Skipton01

...but it was either £800 or £900!!!!!!
Yup, it was a gut-wrenching £900 - but that included headlamp washers ;) Too rich for my blood...

Good luck with your installation...

Unfortunately the headlamp washers AND automatic height adjustment are a legal requirement for HID so all the factory fit options include these in the price. Otherwise you blind other drivers - not the best thing to do on a narrow country lane at night!!!!

Ian

Must learn to spell!

2002 1.4 Petrol SE, silver with climate control for SWMBO (1.4 Petrol SE, Ebony Black, grey leather, heated seats, climate, opensky, five spoke alloys on order) Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 iCDTi for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back