High mileage problems ...?

dlp

A2OC Donor
Looking for my first A2, I've seen a nice April 04 Grey 1.4 SE Petrol at areasonable price, but it's done 77,000 miles.

Could this high mileage present problems in the near-medium future?

Is a full service history enough reassurance?

How much more life would an A2 engine have after this, anyway?

Am I better off going for an older car (post-02), but with much lower mileage, for similar money?

Would be very grateful for any useful answers to these questions.

Thanks.

107,000 miles from new, and still growing strong...
...I personally think that low mileage cars sometimes suffer more problems, engines don't warm up properly exhaust rot quicker... etc.

I've had new disc & pads, and roll bar & bushes replaced, oh and a cambelt, that's all. Coupled with £50 car tax, I don't think I can get a cheaper form of transport.

How many miles do you anticipate doing in year?

I'd go for a 2002 ownards, as the trim is better, and I read that various problems with older cars, like blowing turbo's have been changed....

bba

my tuppence worth

I'd go for a post-02 car if you can. And as previously said, how many miles to you think you'll cover in a year?
I think they're fairly robust cars, and there's nothing inherently bad with them, I believe.
In my years buying used cars (never had a new one, only a new 'bike), I always try to go for the latest year I can afford. That way you pick up on the continual manufacturer's development, improvements, supersessions, etc. My mileage is not very high, so a slightly higher-mileage car has never bothered me. Although my A2 is the lowest mileage car I've bought!
As with any used car, there's always a risk, even if you buy from a dealer.

Mines now at 124k and no problems - still nice and tight on the suspension and no engine issues but I have the 1.4 TDI (75)

I can't see with an Audi that High Milage would be a problem especially if they're motorway miles as an 04 with 77k probably is....

PaddyS

Back