High pitch horn

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a topic on this but I can't find it. Under "Forum photos and tips" there is a picture of the high pitch horn. can anyone assist? Tell me more about the horn, what model, where to buy, cost etc. Don't tell me off for starting a new topic that may exist, my excuse is that I'm stupid, but I have looked , honest. Any warranty problems if fitted?

Could the phantom horn fitter please reply. It seems strange that a "tips" photo appears, and that's the end of the story.

holly
If you do a search of topics, put in "horn", check the "include archived posts" box and look at the titled "Horns" posted 28 Jan 2003. Gives some info.

When I get time I'll search some stuff I have at home from earlier in 2002 which I don't think is available on-line and see if anything is there.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Runboy. Thanks for the info, it doesn't look too promising, but clearly someone has done it. I fitted wind tones to my MG, wow, that was loud and piercing, you just had to remember to keep the compressor well oiled, or it packed up. They were Italian if I remember rightly.

holly
I've searched through 323 archived post on the home pc, and the only other post on horns was this one (I've just copied the text-if you want me to email you the web page let me know):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To replace with a cheap low tone (to complement the existing hi tone) first remove the undertray, front valance, bumper and a headlight.!
Fit new noise generator and replace.
No it is not linked to the alarm system
--------------------------------------------------
I must admit that I havent heared the A2 horn from the outside or if sitting in another car. However if you call the A2 horn pathetic, then how would you call the one installed in my Seat ibiza? IMHO Seat Ibiza has a genuine "meep, meep, vintage FIAT 1970" horn.

According to that I'm quite satisfied with the one installed in my A2, though I wouldn't argue about changing it for a decent two tone "**************** kicking loud" horn.

Regards

ZB
-----------------------------------------
In answer to the actual question I have to say it’s a bit early in the day for me.

£70 is no killer if the new louder horn then becomes part of the theft alarm system – but is this the case ?

Audi UK have written to defend the sound of the alarm as being based on environmental regulations, and as a consequence I have now asked them to supply “db” readings from the alarm together with the maximum permitted “db” limit as specified by any local authority (Government body) within the UK. I have explained that should I eventually establish that there is a vast difference then I shall be very angry that they tried to fob me off with science. In anticipation I await their reply.

Regards
John Disdale
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Mustn't be to hard.... Just locate the horn, remove it and somewhere below the bonnet attach a new one.
Imagine one of them duke o' hazzard horns on your a2 !!!

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi
----------------------------------------------------
Maersk - good question!
This is one of the few things that I absolutely hate about the A2. The horn is the most pathetic and laughable aspect about the car. The must be a way of cheaply upgrading it?!

2001 TDI SE, Open Sky System, 16" six spoke alloys, Kenwood Mask CD.
A2 Owners Club: http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/

Edited by - stuart_d on 02 May 2002 14:18:09
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ok we know the horn belongs on Noddy's car but upon requesting a reasonable upgrade to wind tone/hi-lo tone horn my dealer knocked me into utter silence when he informed me the part would be £70 plus vat.
Even he thought it would not be expensive!
I have a noddy horn. Anyone uprated the damn thing themselves cheaply?
------------------------------------------------------------

So that's all I can find. Do it Flintstone style a strap a T-Rex to the front........

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Rescue
Better late than never how to fit the Hi tone horn,[25] remove the drivers side headlamp you will find the wire to the existing horn attached to that headlamp wiring loom its the twin core wire which if you run your hand down it goes into bumper below the headlamp. Carefully cut back the outer cover and scotch lock on about 16 inches of twin core wire then tape over this connection, attach two female spade terminals to the other end of this wire which will connect to the Hi tone horn when fitted.
Remove the drivers side outer fog lamp cover (place the blade of a small screwdriver into the gap between this cover and the centre grill and push it to the left) then remove the fog light two screws.
Push the wire you have connected through the hole behind the fog lamp ready to connect to the additional horn.
A small Hi tone trumpet horn can be purchased from Euro-parts, part number 442110010 for about £13 which is made in Germany and is a match for the the standard Lo tone horn fitted.
There is a small plastic spigot with a hole in the centre just to the right of the towing eye screw which will take a self tapping screw and will allow you to mount the horn bracket, you willhave to attach the wires and the bracket to the horn before you can attach it to the car, it does not matter which way you attach the wires to the horn you will have to bend the horn bracket to fit and as not to foul the bodywork this will take you several attempts before you get the right bend.
The fuse suppling the horn is a 25amp and will not require to be upgraded.
Reassemble and the jobs done What a difference this makes to the sound.
Bill Tait [25]

Bill Tait, great stuff, just what I was looking for, clear, concise, all info asked for. Marvellous, I'd give you a big kiss but people will talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back