Hot cold, hot cold, faster slower, faster slower

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Hmm. Got in my car yesterday morning - outside temp was 14C. My climate was set to 20C Auto. Not particularly sunny.

For the first 15mins or so, until I got annoyed and reduced the temp setting to 18C, the climate control would blow hot for about 5secs, then cold, then hot, then cold. Also I could hear/ feel that the air was going faster and then slower too.

What's going on? When I dropped the temp to 18C it eventually stopped and just gave me cold air. I regularly "excercise" the flaps by changing the air direction to screen, then face, then foot vents, with combinations in between. It's done it several days now so it's not just a one off, but yesterday's episode has provoked me to post.

Could it be starting to run low on gas? Or is something else at work here?

Last edited:
sun light sensor? ambient temperature sensor (the little fan behind the slots at the top of the CC unit)? Have you got any fault codes?

I'll check for fault codes later when I get the car back from the missus ;)

I did swap the Climate Panel last year when the heated seats went in, could it be possible the temp sensor inside it is on the blink then? Is it possible to replace them?

Do you still have your old CC unit? Is it possible to swap the fascia with the heated seat controls onto your old CC unit?

Tom

I do still have it in the cellar somewhere yes. Wouldn't the old unit not have the heated seats controls though?

I've never actually held a CC unit with heated seat controls, but assumed the dial to control seat temperature was separate from the main climate control electronics. Perhaps this isn't the case.

Tom

I'm sure another club member has changed over the front panel on the CC unit. One had the heated seat controls and the other did not which suggests they are not directly linked.

Cheers Spike

Tom,

You are correct. The climate facia differs between heated and non-heated seats, but the controls are separate, removable switches. However, in both types of climate control units, the housing for the switches is present, it is only the cutout and painted indication on the facia panel that is not present on non-heated units.

When I get home I’ll take some photo’s of the difference between the two if it’s helpful.

Dan,

I suspect you might have a G263 evaporator sensor failure, causing the climate to get mixed up. I have this issue and need to change my sensor, but it’s a dash-out job and I don’t have the time.

This is my DTC:
00818 - Sensor for Evaporator Outlet Temperature (G263)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus – Intermittent

Cheers

Jeff

cheers Jeff - I will scan it for error codes and see what comes up. I don't fancy a dash-out job, but if it needs to be done maybe I'll resume my search for a double-DIN at the same time, ha ha

Dan,

If it turns out that you don’t have an issue with the evaporator sensor, but it’s the CC unit itself, it is an easy task to remove the facia from both and swap them over, meaning you could put your original CC unit back in your car, but will have the facia of the new CC unit, therefore keeping your heated seats.
It’s simply a matter of removing some small Torx screws (can’t remember exactly how many, maybe 8 to 12) from the rear of the facia (they hold the facia to the Climate unit), pull it off and replicate on the other unit.
Once it’s out of the car the work is 5 minutes for each CC unit and job done.

Between you and Tom I’m a little envious.
Tom = rear electric windows
Dan = heated front seats
Two tasks I want to complete before the close of the year.

Cheers

Jeff

I'm sure another club member has changed over the front panel on the CC unit. One had the heated seat controls and the other did not which suggests they are not directly linked.

Cheers Spike

Yes--that was me.
Very small torx required, but easily done

J

Between you and Tom I’m a little envious.
Tom = rear electric windows
Dan = heated front seats
Two tasks I want to complete before the close of the year.

Things I'd like in Jeff's car: leather, Bose, rear cup holders, auto-dimming mirror, puddle lighting, heated mirrors...
Heated seats would also be nice, though I suspect you'll beat me to it, Jeff!

Last edited:
^^^^Tom......What about my coat hanger.....!!:D

I also want to get my MFSW buttons working as they should by end of year too, but need to identify the correct wiring positions between the buttons, slip ring, steering wheel controller, etc.

Hopefully it's all achievable as I have 6 weeks annual leave still to take.

Cheers

Jeff

Sometimes, my climate control does the same : hot, warm, hot, warm. I think it's related to the ouside temp, actual inner temp and inner temp to reach.
I haven't had a look so far, but to me, it sounded like a problem with the V68 motorized flap, thats the device that mixes cold and hot air to reach a given temp.
Here are instructions (in German :( ) on how to fix it.
http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=25626
Doesn't look so easy... But worth a try since parts & labour at an Audi dealer is a 4 figures bill, i think.

I also want to get my MFSW buttons working as they should by end of year too, but need to identify the correct wiring positions between the buttons, slip ring, steering wheel controller, etc.

Hopefully it's all achievable as I have 6 weeks annual leave still to take.

Cheers

Jeff
When you'll be done, I'be very interrested to know the solution :) sorry to sound like a "vampire" (work-sucker !)
Do you have the A4 MFSW controle module ("horseshoe") ?

When you'll be done, I'be very interrested to know the solution :) sorry to sound like a "vampire" (work-sucker !)
Do you have the A4 MFSW controle module ("horseshoe") ?

@fbi.....Yes I have the A4 controller ( 8E0 953 549 M ).
When I finally get my head around it I'll post a how-to with pics

Cheers

Jeff

Argh. My set of Torxes doesn't go small enough :(
The old one is pretty mucky - is it the little fan on the top of the unit that goes wrong? I can see how it could get gummed up.

Yes--that was me.
Very small torx required, but easily done

J

Back