How easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevA2

I've had my A2 for just over a week. I would like to put in some silver indicator bulbs that I have to tidy the look of the front lights up, how easy is the removal of the bonnet and if I get it off is the access to the front indicator bulbs easy?

Hey, I wanted to do the same thing, having some left-over Philips Silvervision indicator bulbs just lying around.
I've read stories about changing the regular bulb, ranging from: 'disassemble the whole thing' to 'just remove the rubber surround'. All in all, my guess was that there is very little space behind the headlights, probably even less behind the indicators.

I'd give it a try, at least by looking at it after removing the bonnet. Haven't come round to it yet.

The 'easy' way for the regular bulbs was discussed in this thread (among many). How about that for a start?

http://www.a2forum.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1177&SearchTerms=replace,headlight

And if you're willing to practice some patience (few weeks tops), you could let me go first...

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

[37]
Silver vision won't make any difference as there is an amber lens within the light unit.
The units are VERY simple to remove. Undo the two torx bolts (one on top and one inboard of the unit - VERY obvious) and slide the unit towards the centre of the car whilst pulling gently forwards. You dont have to disconnect the wiring multi plug as ther is (just) enough slack to service the unit. The drivers side will need the clip holding th cable at the rear disconnecting.
East really. The most difficult bit is finding somewhere safe and scratch free to put the bonnet!
[8D]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

Looks like you're talking about taking out the entire headlight assembly.
I really do not want to do that. Not even if I manage to correctly mark the the screws, in order to save the alignment. I hate misaligned headlights on other cars and don't want to be part of 'that group'.

And are you sure about the amber lense? Having looked at it (whilst walking past it this morning) I thought I saw a partially orange reflection, IMO caused by an orange bulb inside an otherwise silver reflector/housing. Just like in other cars.

Well, if not, then the Silvervision bulbs end up on the rear indicators. But I think you tend to see it even less, there. A bit of bad investement, those bulbs.

Thx for the info!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

[3]
yEP YOU ARE CORRECT THE AMBER APPEARS to colour the whole part of the lens but it is indeed the bulb coating showing through.
I had to look this morning![37]

Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

[37]
Yes it involves taking out the whole assembly BUT it is really easy and you do not need to line up or mark bolts as the units are simply lined up with a moulded line on the front bumper. I saaure you you will not end up being 'one of them'.[37]

Cool, think I'll have a bash this weekend, now just got to find somewhere to put the bonnet

[8D]
Top tip
Stand the bonnet on soft rubber or carpet on its REAR edge (two points effectively) and lean it (padded) against the wall of your garage - don't do this if it is remotely windy!
[8D]

[24]
Minimal padding required and all of the hands required are in the right orientation to put it down and pick it up easily.

Currently still an A2 owner

Okay, here we go again with German references.... just look at the pictures ;):

About silvervision bulbs and the way they look, both front and aft:

http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=1995&sid=&hilight=scheinwerfer

And about removing the hood/light assembly:

http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=38&sid=

This second link has some blurry pictures about removing the light assembly. And here they also say you have to mark the screws in order to save the alignment. That's why I was reluctant about the whole thing before. Just skip the blurry pictures and listen to Mike. And keep your head on while removing anything.

I've got smallish hands. I'm still hoping on doing it without touching a screw...

--

I told you Mike: just look at the pictures! Kevin only wanted to know how to remove the bonnet, which seems perfectly clear to me. The headlight pictures are a 'bonus'.

(I really should use those smilies that you normally use in these situations. Duh ;))

And your sentence should have read "Je ne parle pas Allemand! Que'est-ce qu'il dit?" And that's French too.
Just trying to be as irritating as possible, pretending to know everything!!!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

thanks guys.

(Technically it should be "Qu'est-ce qu'il a dit?" -I'm a french teacher-sorry)

The silver bulbs do make a nice difference, nothing special i just prefer the cleaner look.

Today I had one of my headlight bulbs exchanged. It went out yesterday evening, after about 23000km of service (400 hours?)

Anyway, after struggling with the bracket behind the light, without seeing it and knowing what it really looked like, I drove my A2 to the dealer for replacement.
The mechanic unscrewed the two screws also shown in one of the guides above, slid the unit forward (after disconnecting it) and then it was as easy as anything to get at the bulbs.

Alignment of the screws was not that important, said the mechanic. It would only fit in one way, if you followed the markings.
Anyway, if I install the silvervision indicators, I'll do the same. But I'll apply some tipp-ex to the screws for alignment anyway.
I suggest that all DIY work to the headlights is done this way. Saves on scratches and bruises on your hand (I got mine after 15 minutes off fiddling...).
Full removal is easy, really.
And the bonnet fitted on the rear seat, with one of the doors open...

Hope that helps, for reassurance

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

It's also very easy to fix a misted headlight. It's really easy to remove and the alignment takes place inside the lampunit. The whole unit is fixed tight in place and the lamps within are aligned.
I'm thinking of filling the lamps with carbondioxide. It's bigger then air, so it won't leak easily and it'll prevent my units from fogging up...

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back