How long do these things last?

FlyingScot

My A2 (tdi) is fast approaching 100k, I'm currently covering about 25k miles per year in it.

I've heard a few people saying that the diesels will go for 300k no problem as long as they're properly maintained.

Has anyone got a car that's covered this kind of mileage, who has the highest mileage car and what problems have came up due to the wear other than the normal stuff?

My previous TDIs (not A2) have lasted up to 250k or so, and it's generally been something other than the engine which goes (rust, rear collision, steering rack, clutch). I presume the engine in the A2 will be the same.

I've driven one with 235k that had been used as a work horse, scruffy as could be but drove fine and have owned one with with 140k that drove as new.

As you say if they're looked after they just go on and on and on.......

My 2001 car is on 187k and still going strong, returning reasonable mpg, it only failed to start once in February but that was because I had an anyeurism last December so I didn't drive for two months or so.
A new bosch battery and no dramas since.
I've spent the most money on tyres and had to get new shocks and springs last year but otherwise its the most reliable car I've ever had, I think it'll last longer than me as I'm starting to go rusty now:rolleyes:

Cheshire Oaks Audi have a diesel A2 on their books for regular servicing (owned by a policeman!)....... it has done in excess of 260,000 miles! I know ( from my former profession in oil Technology), that the simple way to help to ensure long-life with these cars is regular, quality oil changes! I change at 10,000 mls and use the VAG Quantum Longlife 111, fully synthetic oil. It is the one thing that you simply shouldn't skrimp on!

Hi DJ,

That's good to know.
I've actually got a fair bit of experience with VAG tdi's as we've got a few private hire taxis, mainly Octavia's but also some experience with the 2.0tdi Passat.
What has been said about the life of the engine is what I was expecting as we've had quite a few 300k+ cars over the years. The oil/filter changes and the use of quality oils makes all the difference although I've just put a new cam and followers on a 205k Octavia which was a first and quite a dissapointment.
What has come as a surprise with the A2 is the fact that there doesn't appear to be a list of regular problems that appear at certain mileages. I could probably tell you how long each major component on a 1.9tdi Octavia will last within 20k miles and not be far off. The Audi appears to be better put together overall.

Cheers.

If you're looking at common issues, they tend to be in things other than the engine.
* Brake light switch (common to all VAGs)
* OpenSky sunroof
* Wiring looms ageing
* Throttle body
* Springs
* Alu tear in the front passenger door by the hinge
Then all the typical stuff you would expect like the clutch for city-driven cars, etc.

The main reason for an A2 to no longer be on the road is if someone has driven into it. The insurance companies just don't want to repair them.

Back