How many isofix points on the bench seat?

Hooley

A2OC Donor
Anyone know the definitive answer?
I'm lead to believe that the bench (3) rear seat had only one set of isofix anchors, and it's in the central seat location.

The 2 rear seat has 2 isofix

Anyone help here?
Thanks
Jason

Posted from my iPlop...

The bench has an odd isofix configuration. Theres 3 anchors so you have the choice of locating the nippers seat behind the passenger or in the centre. Unfortunately you can't use 2 isofix seats in the back - I didn't even consider this until we were transporting our wee one and a friends child at the same time. Had to use the seat belt method for one of our seats. :(

This could be an issue if we have another child and may perhaps mean I'd need to think about trading Ada for a split seat version.

You could specify isofix on the front seat too which includes the switch to isolate the passenger airbag ( memory serving it was a resonably priced option too which is unusual for audi!) , but I havent seen this option 'in the flesh' (it may not be something sellers even identify as point of mention unless they know the car well)

Last edited:
Could it be possible to add a few isofix points to accommodate?
How does the current point fix to the seat or the car?

And another question is...
Can the bench seat be removed?

Posted from my iPlop...

1. Could it be possible to add a few isofix points to accommodate?

2. How does the current point fix to the seat or the car?

3. Can the bench seat be removed?

1. Not without a major amount of work and do you want to trust your most cherished people to an after market weld?

2. Not sure what you mean?

3. Sure you can remove the bench - although its flippin heavy ;)

If you mean can you remove it and replace with split seats - no you can't. The floor pan is different.

Last edited:
adding ISOFIX to the front seat is possible and has been done, as usual on the German forum. It involves using standard / OEM parts.

Very interesting indeed! Whats involved in this Bret? (i'm not a member on the German forum)

I imagine the seat needs to be stripped apart and rebuilt with replacement bits then. If its a do-able job this could be a possibility for me one day, even if that means permanently isolating the passenger airbag.

I had assumed isofix mounts would have to be welded to the existing frame after removing the upholstery.

I've run my two kids through the back of our car for the last few years without Isofix, it's not the be-all and end-all, but certainly a nice to have.

On the front Isofix and airbag-defeat, I have seen that on one A2 which I was looking to buy from West London Audi about 4 years ago, but that is the only one. However, I have seen recently at least 5 cars with rear-facing babyseat placed on front passenger seat, right up close to the dash and I bet a lot of money the well-meaning mother driving hadn't, or wasn't aware that she could, disable the front airbags...

The rear bench seat does come out as one entire seat (squab and back-rest), but as noted above, it's incredibly heavy, I reckon it's a good 40Kg. Not Audi's best weight-saving design!

Very interesting indeed! Whats involved in this Bret? (i'm not a member on the German forum)

I imagine the seat needs to be stripped apart and rebuilt with replacement bits then. If its a do-able job this could be a possibility for me one day, even if that means permanently isolating the passenger airbag.

I had assumed isofix mounts would have to be welded to the existing frame after removing the upholstery.

You don't have to permanently kill the airbag, it's possible to do the switch. And consider teh TÜV attitude towards welding yourself - no, it's not a "weld a bit on", it's "replace the backrest metal frame with one with the isofix parts already in place".

Link to instructions (with, as usual, a disclaimer): http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=38177

you will need to register if you haven't already.

Bret

My Sport seats came out of a car with the options to disable the airbag using the keyhole in the glove box. Consequently, I have ISOfix points on my front passenger seat, but don't have the option to disable the airbag. I'm unlikely to use them any time soon, though!

Tom

...Theres 3 anchors so you have the choice of locating the nippers seat behind the passenger or in the centre. ...

Just out of interest, with the centre position using ISOFIX, is the front leg of an ISOFIX base unit short enough to stand over the tunnel? I have the rear foot well storage box and my Maxi Cosi isofix base cannot fit over it due to the leg being too long.

Just out of interest, with the centre position using ISOFIX, is the front leg of an ISOFIX base unit short enough to stand over the tunnel? I have the rear foot well storage box and my Maxi Cosi isofix base cannot fit over it due to the leg being too long.

No - it wouldnt work in the middle seting of bench; the Maxi cosi leg is too long.

reviving this thread for further question...

I've just 'simulated' a rear bench with a stage 0 maxi cosi and a stage 1 maxi cosi with me also sitting at the back. The front facing stage 1 seat really obstruct shoulder room. I think it is ok for short journeys. But longer drives, it has to be stage 0 in the middle, adult passenger on the side and I think that's comfortable. The question then are:
1) Any isofix base that can mount in the middle of a rear bench?
2) with an old style centre lap belt, I don't suppose there is any potential of belt mounted stage 0 child seats?

All the isofix bases I've ever seen all have a central leg.
And all of the baby seats I've seen also rely on a 3 point safety belt.

Can you not fit an old non-inertia 3 point belt in? Maybe attached to the isofix and over the seat back?

thanks Chris, I sort of guessed the answer but obviously I've not actually owned a bench A2 (yet). I have set eyes on a 2003 FSI with toys but the red leather rear bench is of course cheese wire lap belt. Looking at photos of an expensive 04 FSI toys+leather bench, it appears the 3 point center belt of the bench is all integrated in the seat, right (no belt pulled from roof)?

Here I am thinking, may be get the cheaper FSI and offer a complete seat swap for a 3pt center belt bench? Surely some takers for a set of rare red leather with bench? I can retrim later if the swap isn't leather.

yeah, I have that one book marked :)

I'm probably going to look at http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201223474984597 even though it is cheese wire lap belt. This one http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201223474635230/usedcars?logcode=visc is close to perfect (doesn't have Bose but I'm not too bothered) but is very pricy for an FSI with over 100k miles.

To put this thread back on topic, I think the conclusion is unless your full size passenger can squeeze in between two child seats, the only rear bench that can realistically accommodate 2 child seats with an adult is of the post-04my with a 3pt center belt.

Thanks guys, the hunt goes on...

All the isofix bases I've ever seen all have a central leg.
And all of the baby seats I've seen also rely on a 3 point safety belt.

Can you not fit an old non-inertia 3 point belt in? Maybe attached to the isofix and over the seat back?

We have an Audi branded (but made by Britax from memory) isofix stage1 forward facing seat without any kind of centre leg...this fits fine in the middle position of the rear bench (pre- 3-point inertia belt). Mostly use it on the passenger side but when we need to carry 5 we move it into the middle and use with a booster for an older child on one side and adult passenger on the other. It's cosy but due to to the A2's upright design and deep footwells, it's not ridiculous.

We have an Audi branded (but made by Britax from memory) isofix stage1 forward facing seat without any kind of centre leg...this fits fine in the middle position of the rear bench (pre- 3-point inertia belt). Mostly use it on the passenger side but when we need to carry 5 we move it into the middle and use with a booster for an older child on one side and adult passenger on the other. It's cosy but due to to the A2's upright design and deep footwells, it's not ridiculous.

wow, did not know that! Do you know where I can source it? I have some ridiculous price/ideas but I doubt an audi child seat is anywhere near as bad. There is a cloth rear bench with shoulder belt on ebay.de for 300 euro + freight or an Audi supplied brand new rear bench at £4000! The child seat can't be anywhere as costly!

To put this thread back on topic, I think the conclusion is unless your full size passenger can squeeze in between two child seats, the only rear bench that can realistically accommodate 2 child seats with an adult is of the post-04my with a 3pt center belt.

I have had this scenario a couple of times in my car - two children in the two childseats left and right, and a slim-hipped and slim-shouldered adult in the middle. It's not exactly comfortable for the adult concerned.

wow, did not know that! Do you know where I can source it? I have some ridiculous price/ideas but I doubt an audi child seat is anywhere near as bad. There is a cloth rear bench with shoulder belt on ebay.de for 300 euro + freight or an Audi supplied brand new rear bench at £4000! The child seat can't be anywhere as costly!

£4000!!! Blimey. Well I got ours from the Parts Depot ebay shop, but that was obviously a one-off from some old stock. It was £80 if I remember rightly, the fabric is a bit 80's old school! I notice Audi don't have any car seats at all on their accessories web pages? Surely the dealers still sell them though?

Anyway, its a Britax as I say. They currently have this one on their website..only had a quick look but I think this should fit in those centre isofix points without any need for a 3 point belt?

http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/safefix-plus-tt

Back