How Rare are our A2's !

I was astonished to learn today how Rare my 2003 Audi A2 1390CC actually is...., only 513 officially registered in the UK as of the last quarter of 2022 ( information from DVLA website ). This has made me sit up and take note of how badly I've cared for my car since acquiring it in 2020 and the changes I've got to make about how I treat this ever increasing Rare little Gem.

But what of the future, with 2030 just round the corner and the changes it will bring, will the effects de - value our already Unofficial modern Classic ?

The Audi A2 Owners Club will become even more important and significant to us in the coming years as more and more A2's disappear from UK roads each year ( DVLA statistics show an average of 90 A2 cars a year in the UK are SORN'ed ).

Last edited:
the 513 may be referring to base spec 1.4's and then there are additional SE's, Sports and Special Editions not included in that figure.

I'm not sure that 2030 affects the A2 in any way. That is just the stop of sale of new petrol and diesel cars, not the abolishment of them from the road.

The only factor that will effect A2 ownership in the future is if the ULEZ gets expanded further in different cities.

Meanwhile the numbers been slowly decreasing, just like with any type of cars which hasn't been manufactured anymore, I still see a fair amount of A2s here and there fortunately.
Like compared to my previous car of the same year, 2001, 1.7 Ford Puma, it was a really great car as well, but sadly they had almost no factory protection from rust.
So by now many fails mot due corroded parts and just becomes too expensive to fix, hence I see more A2s in a month than Pumas in a year.
Still we gotta take care of ours cars for sure.

Seeing that 90 cars a year are disappearing is dissapointing because @Clackers and I get through nowhere near that number. That means that a large portion are just going to scrap with all those parts going to waste :(
Good point, need mor members of the forum to help feed the cycle of restoration! I see a lot of other groups have people post they are scrapping the car with immediate effect and no pre warning or cry for help. On this forum we seem to be good at keeping them spinning.

the 513 may be referring to base spec 1.4's and then there are additional SE's, Sports and Special Editions not included in that figure.

I'm not sure that 2030 affects the A2 in any way. That is just the stop of sale of new petrol and diesel cars, not the abolishment of them from the road.

The only factor that will effect A2 ownership in the future is if the ULEZ gets expanded further in different cities.
Yes, 513 refers only to the A2 1390cc range. 👍

Meanwhile the numbers been slowly decreasing, just like with any type of cars which hasn't been manufactured anymore, I still see a fair amount of A2s here and there fortunately.
Like compared to my previous car of the same year, 2001, 1.7 Ford Puma, it was a really great car as well, but sadly they had almost no factory protection from rust.
So by now many fails mot due corroded parts and just becomes too expensive to fix, hence I see more A2s in a month than Pumas in a year.
Still we gotta take care of ours cars for sure.
I've seen only 5 other A2's in the 2 years I've had mine. There must be concentrations of them in certain parts of the country. Heheh !

Seeing that 90 cars a year are disappearing is dissapointing because @Clackers and I get through nowhere near that number. That means that a large portion are just going to scrap with all those parts going to waste :(
A shameful waste...throw away society ? Uninformed owners ? Laziness ? Cost related ? or maybe just a lack of passion and acknowledgment of how unique the A2 really is 😔. 20 years ahead of its time and only now today's new mini cars are catching up with the specs of our A2's

I’m doing my bit! Saved four last year including this one and about to pick another up tomorrow!
Good point, need mor members of the forum to help feed the cycle of restoration! I see a lot of other groups have people post they are scrapping the car with immediate effect and no pre warning or cry for help. On this forum we seem to be good at keeping them spinning.

Attachments

• 25983420-5FCE-42A9-B89F-B4A6D65E9D18.jpeg
    25983420-5FCE-42A9-B89F-B4A6D65E9D18.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 74
The trick is finding a good one. Decent A2’s of any flavour start around the £1000 mark depending on condition, history/provenance, mileage and specification. IMO the first two points are infinitely more important than the 2nd. Probably even more so with an FSI as they seem to have suffered more abuse than other models. There need to be run ok the right fuel being a prime example.

The trick is finding a good one. Decent A2’s of any flavour start around the £1000 mark depending on condition, history/provenance, mileage and specification. IMO the first two points are infinitely more important than the 2nd. Probably even more so with an FSI as they seem to have suffered more abuse than other models. There need to be run ok the right fuel being a prime example.
Interesting, thanks 👍

What does a good FSI Sports fetch these days ?
Depends completely on the car, its condition and history and ultimately how willing someone is to pay for it. The question is more, what are you willing to pay for a given car that you've had a good look at and done your homework on, so you know what it's potentially going to need doing in the short to medium term. If that's not a price you can negotiate the seller to accept, it's not going to be a sale on that occasion.

I've seen only 5 other A2's in the 2 years I've had mine. There must be concentrations of them in certain parts of the country. Heheh !
From posts on this forum one does get the impression that the sighting of an A2 is much more commonplace in some areas than others. I would say there are above average numbers in Devon and Cornwall. I know of at least half a dozen within about 10 miles of me.

From posts on this forum one does get the impression that the sighting of an A2 is much more commonplace in some areas than others. I would say there are above average numbers in Devon and Cornwall. I know of at least half a dozen within about 10 miles of me.
I concur. They are not an uncommon sight in East Devon.

Back