How to diagnose if I need new ARB or droplinks?

im333

I am a worry-wort by nature; or to look at it another way, I like to know that my cars are running free of mechanical problems.

My new venture into Audi's (previously all are cars have been and the other three still are BMW's) is a mixed bag. I am learning of certain problems that are far from pleasing. For example, the steering pulling to the left. Now, I have read about the ARB/droplink issues.

Could someone explicitly tell me what the symptoms of this problem (ARB?droplinks) are?

What would I hear/feel if my car were to be affected and if raised on a ramp, how can I visualise the problem?
Many thanks,
im333

Arb

If you are talking about anti-roll bar bushes (ARB) then you will hear a distinctive clunking noise when turning or cornering. I had them go on my Audi A3. If you are not talking about bushes then my apologies.

Cheers

If you are talking about anti-roll bar bushes (ARB) then you will hear a distinctive clunking noise when turning or cornering. I had them go on my Audi A3. If you are not talking about bushes then my apologies.

Cheers

No need to apologise!
Thanks for the reply - it seems such a hotly debated issue on this forum, I was somewhat surprised at all the views and no help!

I take it the bar itself doesn't need to be replaced, just the bushes?

Any idea about diagnosing faulty droplinks?

I was rather hoping that someone else would reply (it's no fun when I'm the only one!), but as nearly no-one has, then here goes:

As MG says, there will be a pronounced banging on cornering if the ARB is shot (or the droplinks for that matter).

You will need to replace the ARB, not just the bushes if this is the case, as it almost always means that the bar has rusted, causing the bushes to break due to expansion, and the new design ARB is fully treated to overcome this.

When the car is raised, look for a split in the black plastic bush, which is behind the clip attacjing the ARB to the subframe. There may also be a lot of rust residue around it.

The drop links suffer from wear to the ball joints and so will have play in them - give them a good pulling and pushing, just as if you were checking for a bad wheel bearing.

Although it is a relatively common problem (affecting not only the A2, but all transverse engined Audis), the changed design of the new ARBs means that most late cars (and early ones that have been caught by the warranty) are fine.

Also, don't mistake knocking sounds from the tyres as a faulty ARB - this has happened to me and is easily done. If your tyres are more than 50% worn, this can happen and can be quite confusing.

Cheers,

Mike

I was rather hoping that someone else would reply (it's no fun when I'm the only one!), but as nearly no-one has, then here goes:

As MG says, there will be a pronounced banging on cornering if the ARB is shot (or the droplinks for that matter).

You will need to replace the ARB, not just the bushes if this is the case, as it almost always means that the bar has rusted, causing the bushes to break due to expansion, and the new design ARB is fully treated to overcome this.

When the car is raised, look for a split in the black plastic bush, which is behind the clip attacjing the ARB to the subframe. There may also be a lot of rust residue around it.

The drop links suffer from wear to the ball joints and so will have play in them - give them a good pulling and pushing, just as if you were checking for a bad wheel bearing.

Although it is a relatively common problem (affecting not only the A2, but all transverse engined Audis), the changed design of the new ARBs means that most late cars (and early ones that have been caught by the warranty) are fine.

Also, don't mistake knocking sounds from the tyres as a faulty ARB - this has happened to me and is easily done. If your tyres are more than 50% worn, this can happen and can be quite confusing.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Mine's an 02; is it early enough to suffer?

Yes it is, although you might be worrying a little too much.

If there is no noise on cornering, then don't be too concerned.

Cheers,

Mike

Had the ARB and drop links replaced on my A2 but believe it or not I have just had a drop link replaced on the near side on my Polo Dune. Only 1 year old and 10k on the clock. So its not just A2s that suffer with this problem but to VW credit they diagnosed the problem while I waited and booked it in 2 days later job done. Now thinking back I believe this was caused by me going over a very deep pot hole a few months back but anyway all coverd by warranty

knocking noise..

hi,

i get a knocking noise in our 2001 1.4 petrol A2 in a straight line over bumpy/pot holey roads.

is this the anti-roll bar bushes ??

cheers,

Angelo

ARB Bushes

As mentioned in another thread, I've just had the bushes replaced on a 2001 Tdi for £41.67 inc. by my local garage.

This is the first problem I've had in 60,000 miles and occurred after hitting a pothole.

It remains to be seen how long the replacements last.

I'll keep you posted.:eek:

ARB BushesSorry Angelo,

Sorry Angelo,

Forgot to mention, that is probably the bushes, I drove around with them like that for about 6 weeks.

I don't know what main dealer prices are to change them as I never use them; I'd be interested to know though!

Roger

bushes

hi roger, thanks for reply.

i won't be using them either, do all my own work !

just wanted to make sure on diagnosis.

will probably just the the whole kit form VAGparts.com - sounds the best solution.

cheers,

Angelo

Back