I broke it...

shezlee

I took out the k&n filter to clean and re-oil it, all went well put it back in and now the car keeps going in to limp mode, took it to a garage and the MAF is covered in oil, nice clean oil, so it needs to be cleaned or replaced. So a simple task is going to cost, oh the shame.

Doh........

It's easy to over-oil the filter if using the liquid. I leave my re-oiled filter proped up at about 45° overnight to allow the surplus to drain off and then I make sure the base is cleaned so it's as dry as it can be.

I don't have too much surplus oil afterwards, but it is easily done as the oil takes a few minutes to wick properly and I can understand how you can over-oil. It's better to under-oil and have to go back and re-oil a few spots.....but unfortunately you're now aware of this.

I have known several people over the years to go back to an OEM for this reason.

I hope you get the issue resolved at minimum cost.

Cheers

Jeff

Oops!

Stick with an OE filter, the "gains" to be had from these oiled filters are negligible at best!

blue skies
tony

Well all is good and I did not break it but I did over oil the filter. The issue was the pipes near the waistgate one had split and another had collapsed.

Back