I Promised - Its here A3 DSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

maersk

A3 2.0 TDI DSG

OK so we cutthrough the hype.
It has been mine for 6 weeks and faor three of them I was in the States so the machine has done only 800 miles.
Impressions so far compared with A2, not previous road burners.
Negative:
Nowhere to lose crap in the boot – no false floor
Expensive to fill
Fewer miles to the gallon

Positives:
MUCH bigger boot
MUCH bigger fuel tank
One hell of sight quicker and faster
Not as common around here – NO REALLY
Feels MUCH more substantial ( and I LOVED my A2)
Performance is mind boggoling (sic)
Seats are more comfortable (both sports seats)
Transmission/gearbox is excellent – A2 was very good in the 1.4 TDI
Noise levels are EXTREMELY low – A2 was always a diesel – this isn’t (well not from inside!

I collected my 2.0 TDI DSG Sport in the second wek of March with a degree of trepidation. I had loved my A2 time and had expunged (or so I thought) the speed demons. 50 or 60 to the gallon beckoned and came to fruition with 73 being achived on one particular journey, but although the beastie was quite quick, it was not quite quick enough……………………….

The day dawns and a dyed in the wool manual petrol head takes delivery of an automatic diesel!

OK the diesel I had got used to with A2 and the engine is excellent as it has 16 valves and actually revs. Red line is 5k, not that you have to use anything beyond 3k to make stunning progress.

The auto……….well why have I been changing gear mysylf for all this time? The DSG is tremendous …………. But as a manual man it took some getting used to. I thin it was brought to a head when last week-end \I collected my mother-in-law ( no jokes she is a lovely lady) and a yoof (sic) accellerated into a stream of traffic ahead of us and I followed. The yoof and his squeeze did the usual, into the seat, thrown against the seat belt number when he changed from first to second and so one. We sailed up to and past with said mother-in –law sitting serenely in the passenger seat with NO torque reversal affects at all.

The sport mode is excellent changing up at the red line, and is particularly pleasing away from traffic lights. As there are so few miles on it I have not yet used the launch control facility which will be a hoot once it is dialled in. Switch off ASP, select ‘sport’ hold the brake with the left foot and floor the throttle. The revs. Rise and are held at 2.5K and release the brake…………………………………you fly off down the road changing at optimum and blitzing unsuspecting yoofs. Allegedley. I’ll let you know.

OK so do I miss the specialness of the A2? No not really as they have taken off in my part of the world and I see more of them than I do A3.

I debated long and hard after driving the manual 6 speeder as to whether or not to get the DSG. A variety of serndipitous occurrances led me to the DSG and I woud not go back now, althought after kerbing an alloy on my second day of ownership due to the unrecognised lack of ‘feel’ from the auto clutch had me wondering – still I am convinced.

Going to work I used the paddles and ‘manual for the first week, then used auto and was disgusted that the auto mode provided me with 44 mpg. 6 more than driving it myself. Audi are correct. This is the transmission of the future, lazy when you arn’t and dynamic when you are in the mood.

Test drives are few and far between. When I ordered mine I had to drive the 6 speed manual and then try the 3.2 DSG TT. No hardship as the torque figures for both are identical.

The machine is very tight and has logged 36 MPG over the FIRST tank of fuel. Yes I know not representative but……………………………. It ha been used. The PTC heater is great. Instant heat on cold mornings, unlike the Webasto which toook a little time to heat but did at least heat the engine coolant as well. That feature is missing.

The brakes are very effctive and compare with the A2 stoppers very well despite their record breaking performance.

I hope that the economy will continue to improve, still a 130 mph motor with 9 second 0-60 cant be bad at 50 mpg overall. I just want o get out and use it!

Do I prefer it to my A2. Emphatically YES.
It is not as fuel eficient but the design cues are there.
I enjoyed my time with the A2 but the A3 has developed further and DSG in the real world is definitely the way to go.

I commend this vehicle to the house.

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

[20]
Its late on a holiday Sunday and I promised myself I would do this tonight....................but after getting back from the pub on my bike and reading htis it was perhaps not a good idea.
Enjoy.
If any one wants more info get in touch.

A2 1.4 SE TDI replaced with A3 2.0TDI DSG, the transmission of the future - today.

I lurve the sound of the launch control. Good review chap-sounds like you are really enjoying her.

Might wait and see what SEAT do with the Altea DSG.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Stop writing such good things about this car!! Once the five door version is released I can see me wanting one!!!

I Can`t wait any Longer mine is due for del in 2-3 weeks depending on it getting on a boat in the near future!!!!

Glad you are enjoying it Maersk, one quick Q which spec did you go for as i am a little aprehensive about the ride on the S-Line?

Good review! Sounds rather tempting, but maybe the Golf version. to save a few quid. Or would it be a case of spoiling the ship etc???

[8D]
Hi Jon.od.
I took the base spo0rt as it is rather firm (like an A2 really) but I felt that the 18" and lower profiled tyres of the s-line gave a more jiggly ride on 'normal' rather than m-way surfaced roads.
Did you specify the DSG as well?

I looked at the Golf but the equivalent car is not so pleasing to the eye (I believe) and the dash is less attractive and the wheel is .............................. etc.

Good review! I've had the 6 speed manual on two occasions as a courtesy car so I know that it is tremendously fast and the only car to give me the same smile on my dail as the A2 on my favourite Sussex coutry blast... never tried the DSG though but my ultimate next car is the A3 5 door 2,0 Tdi DSG in allroad quattro trim... though at probably close to £30000 it is a bit of a jump from an A2!!! Grrr...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Listen Guys Having swapped my first TT 225 (bought S/H) for a NEW 3.2V6 TT with DSG I find it is the perfect compliment to my recently acquired (S/H) 1.6 FSI A2. If only they could put the DSG in an A2 it would be perfect. But the TT is really the business and while I like the idea of an A3 with same, where would the fun be???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back