I suspect that this belongs under 'Goodbye A2'...

...but that looks rather quiet.

My wife's A2 was bought 2nd hand nearly two years ago, and we've started to think about what might be a suitable replacement. I think our opinions of the car are pretty similar:

Looks and individuality.
Light weight and good ride/handling compromise.
'Quality' feel.
Economy.
It's a far better 'workhorse' than my car.

Dislikes:

The dealers aren't brilliant, and aren't cheap.
It's a 1.4 petrol, and lacks a little low down.

I've been told elsewhere by ULP that the 1.6 is similar to the 1.4 unless you are further up the rev range, and (without wishing to open what I believe is a periodic debate) she doesn't want the diesel.

Has anyone thought ahead enough about what you will have as replacements? Does the A1 look like it'll be too conventional when it arrives? I can half picture my wife having an A-Class (which she considered before the A2) but I'm really not keen. If the A2 was still in production, the choice would be simple.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Oh, and hi, by the way.

Last edited:
I concur ULP - Simon, look at you positives list: you just won't find this lot in any other car at the moment.

Now look at the negatives: dealers can be tamed if you get to know them and the lack of grunt WILL be solved by changing to the FSi.

Get a good PX on yours for a late model FSI and you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Mike

We haven't got as far as thinking about budget, because it's likely to be next year. It sounds like the 1.6 is worth a try at least, so I suppose that'll be the first port of call. When did they stop making them? I'll have a quick look at Audi's used car stock on their website.

I wonder whether my daily driver would meet with derision here? After all, it might wear the same badge but it lacks the A2's simplicity, lightness and intelligent design; and as you know my economy figures aren't great. (It's an RS4 saloon, for what it's worth. Clearly I have issues with my masculinity that are absent from the A2 community!)

EDIT: Thanks, Mike. It sounds like we have a plan A.

I too would say go for a low mileage 1.6 FSI, then hold onto that until the A1 arrives.

I will be laying a deposit down on a new A1 as soon as it is properly announced!

I have found a few pics that are apparently genuine audi release drawings for everyone too drool over! And are currently used as my wallpaper on my laptop
90w.jpg

98-2w.jpg

91w.jpg

And this is my favourite picture!

96-2w.jpg

Apparently, it will look similar to the current TT but smaller, based on the shooting brake concept and compete with the likes of the mini cooper.

It will hopefully be available as a four seater coupe and cabriolet, and a roadster!
Lets hope they do a RS1

My FSI is really good to drive. It still lacks a little grunt gowing up the steeper hills we have round in the dales. But otherwise it's a fine drive with plenty of poke for a 1,6.

As far as the coil pack issue is concerned the problem I would say is solved. Newer designed coil packs are relialble, I had the last one changed a year last February and have has no further problems since (hooray!). The FSI engine concept with coil packs is used right accross the VAG range. I spoke to a VW dealer late in 2005 and he assured me that the problem was fixed and new design introduced. Any remaining faulty old style ones would be replaced if still inside the 5 year specially extented warranty period. 5 years minimum is probably OK for such parts. How many times would spark plugs be replaced in that period, especially with high milers? Mind you coil packs are about £75 each from a dealer.

I'd take a look at a 1,6 if I were you.

I'm familiar with the coil issues. I had a Passat two cars ago, and a couple gave up the ghost over Christmas '02. Great fun. I suppose it would be best to get the dealer to confirm in writing that the coils had been changed.

I've asked Crewe Audi to quote a price to change for a 54-plate 1.6 that they have in stock, priced at £9,750. I note that 2002 1.4s still retail at £8k-ish, but I'm expecting a rather larger difference in order to change.

One to mull over, I think.

Thanks one and all.

Hmm. Sharon from Crewe Audi reckons that our '02' 1.4 is worth £5k as a trade-in against a '54' 1.6., giving a price-to-change of £4,750. Sure, they've got to warrant the car (for what that's actually worth; and she quoted £600 for that, btw) etc, but given that examples like ours seem to go for between £7-8k on the forecourt, that feels like a rip-off too far.

If ever there was a trade in need of some enforced regulation/transparency, it's the car dealership.

I just got offered 5800 for my 52 plate 1.4tdi 75 SE with 70k on the clock, it's well loaded with extras so it'd be easy for them to sell.

Twelfth Monkey said:
Hmm. Sharon from Crewe Audi reckons that our '02' 1.4 is worth £5k as a trade-in against a '54' 1.6., giving a price-to-change of £4,750. Sure, they've got to warrant the car (for what that's actually worth; and she quoted £600 for that, btw) etc, but given that examples like ours seem to go for between £7-8k on the forecourt, that feels like a rip-off too far.

If ever there was a trade in need of some enforced regulation/transparency, it's the car dealership.

Me and my missus testdrove that very vehicle this week.

It was a nice colour combo but a life of diesels for the wife has given her the torque bug :)

She found the 1.6 flat against the tdi. Is your 1.4 a petrol or diesel?

Twelfth Monkey said:

If you take a look on Ebay, there are loads of FSis available, some really cheap too. If you find one privately or even from a non-franchised dealer (Fords of Winsford has at least one in stock), I will gladly help you out with viewings/scans etc, as long as it's not too far away. Anything to keep a member eh!

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Chris, and thanks one and all. It's a petrol, for the one who asked.

I think part of what I consider an unreasonable discrepancy is that the car woudn't be going on their forecourt, because it's too old as it's an 02 plate.

Still, my last trade-in is still on their forecourt exactly four months on.

Back