I was about to order an A2 FSi but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodelius

Last Saturday I was about to sign the check for a Pearl Green Audi A2 FSi w/OpenSky and beige interiors.
The only thing that stopped me was the salesman mentioning the possibility to get an ex-demo FSi with less than 500 miles (800 km) for less than 17.000 euro.

This morning, as I got into the office, I began to talk about the car with two of the designers that work here and one of them mentioned that the OpenSky option is very prone to filtering and that Audi is about to stop the production of the A2 soon. I could not believe it! It is a fantastic car, I said.
He promptly sent me three links (one in Spanish from a renowned newspaper and two in German from Die Welt) in which Bernd Pischetsriede talks about running out the production of the A2 in a foreseeable future.

Have you guys heard or read anything about this? I really love the car and have waited a long time for the possibility of having the FSi with the OpenSky option, but do not want to spend that money if Audi stops manufacturing the A2 soon.

On the other hand, is the A2 w/ Open Sky fitted as safe (and waterproof) as the regular one? I would like to have some word about this to choose between the custom built and the one the salesman offered for inmediate delivery.

If you can read Spanish:
http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20020924/31966301.html

If you can read German:
http://www.welt.de/daten/2002/09/23/0923un358181.htx
http://www.welt.de/daten/2002/09/23/0923un358182.htx

If you don't, you can use Altavista translations.

Thanks in advance for your thoughs.
I would hate to buy any other car.

Regards,
Rodelius
Madrid, Spain

PS: Sorry about my English, it is not my mother's language.

Rodelius,

If you like the car so much, then does it really matter that the car will go out of production in the next two or three years? After all most cars have a model life of between 4 - 6 years, and the car has to be supported in terms of parts and service by Audi for at least 10 years. So there shouldn't be any need to worry. If you like it buy it. I'm sure cars are a bit like most consumer goods, if you buy one now, there will be a better, cheaper one with special deals just after you have spent your own money. The best time to buy is just before they are phased out, when the manufacturer and dealers will be offering incentives, and the car (hopefully) will be at it's most fully developed i.e. no faults(?!?).

As for the Open Sky, maybe someone else can offer advice, but in Madrid it is so hot in summer anyway, and you will have the roof closed and the climate control on.

Tino
Dolphin Grey 1.4 SE

Tino,
Many thanks for your reply.
You're right about the wheather in Madrid during the summer. Anyway, I did not want theOpenSky for ventilation, just for the pleasure of seeing the sky while driving and having a more open interior.
As for the model life... If Audi stops manufacturing the A2 soon, this little marvel could even become a collector's item ;)

Regards,
Rodelius

Rodelius,

Most people buy an A2 as an emotional acquisition; so don’t feel guilty in doing the same. There are lots of rumours flying around that production will end in 2004/2005, but stop and think for a second because people out there are currently purchasing Audi A3’s and VW Golf’s both of which will be superceded next year. It obviously does not have then pulling their hair out.

What does seem apparent is that numerous FSI’s currently “appear” to have some problems (see topic below: A2 1.6 FSI Engine Problems), and therefore when placing your order you could mention this fact to the dealer. Also to protect your interests why not confirm that if you have any problems which cannot be swiftly cured then you will expect a new replacement car. See how the dealer responds – if he faints then just maybe it will be the time to walk away.

Go on, buy one, and afterwards don’t forget to visit the A2OC website to join and to make a small financial donation to help save this forum from disappearing off the planet.

Regards
John Disdale

ola rodelius lo a2 es fantastico no lo importa si vai terminar la production es o coche mas guapo del mundo..and to travel is really nice i drove to Barcelona two times the years and is really great and the girls love it ;)
Tiago Casaca 1.4 tdi

TCasaca

>> is really great and the girls love it ;)

That's why I want one as soon as possible!!! ;)

Thank you guys for your advice. Will post as soon as I have it!

Rodelius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back