Ice-Link Plus - my review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just fitted a ice link plus to my factory concert single CD. I went for the one with a cradle even though the Ice-Link website says my 30G photo ipod wont fit. I read on a US site that it would and crossed my fingers. well the iPod does fit and it works a treat.

Thoughts so far.

Its a really neat job, the cradle doesn't look out of place at all and blends in well. The Ipod charges while connected and its really slickly integrated.

You have a larger font display thats easier to read when plugged in. you can switch to the normal iPod display and interface if required.
While in IceLink mode the iPods front controls don't function except for activating the back light if its gone off.
The stereo controls for skip back and forwards, fast forward/reverse all work. The iPod pauses if you switch to radio or CD and you can directly select your first 5 playlists using discs 1-5 on the changer controls. disc 6 enters the IceLink menu where you can navigate to your other playlists and tunes and enter the set up screens
Its a shame that the audi radio doesn't leave buttons 1-6 on the front of the radio for Cd selection, this would give instant menu access with button 6. you have to use the disc -/+ buttons to select the disc number. The Icelink is clever enough to handle this leaving a short pause before doing anything but it does mean multiple presses to select a playlist or the menu. The easiest way of initially choosing music is to start playing and then insert into the cradle

One small complaint. unless you set the iPods back light timer to be always on the backlight will turn off after 1-20 secs or whatever is set. You can set this to permanent but then it runs down the battery quicker while not attached in the car. Its a shame the interface couldn't "force" the backlight to stay on somehow. this may not be a problem on a B&W iPod but the colour screen one is impossible to see the display without the backlight. not a major issue as you can just touch the click wheel to activate the light instantly. Also its a shame that when you skip tracks on the head unit it doesn't turn the back light on either. Being as I maninly now use the iPod in the car my backlight is on permanently (you can switch off by holding down Menu when you want to put in your pocket)

The sound quality is excellent and easily matches the quality from the quality 3.5mm jack to 2 phono lead I used with my old stereo (A flat screen Panasonic usin in my old car. now installed in the wifes tigra)

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ice-Link system to anyone. It seems a little expensive for what is essentially a small heat shrink wrapped circuit board, a cradle and a wiring harness but the convenience and integration with the nice looking Audi head unit is worth every penny. I really didn't fancy fitting an after market head unit with those balnking pieces either side. The concert unit just looks right in my opinion.

Hope this has been handy for somebody. It answers most of the questions I had before taking the plunge

Fitting details and pictures to follow. (took me nearly an hour, of which at least half was trying to find my tools!)

A2 TDi Sport. Crystal Blue

Look forward to seeing the pictures!

Dolphin Grey 1.4 petrol c/w OpenSky

Great review thanks! I also just switch the backlight from "5seconds" to "Always on" every time I swap between London Tube and A2 on my 60GB iPod Photo. Works fine. I think this setup will work even better on my Symphony II as this has six dedicated buttons for the functions you describe. So I think getting to the main menu on button 6 will be easy. In my next car (which probably-hopefully won't have a tape deck) I will definately get this setup from the start.

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

I seem to remember the symphony wasn't supported. I believe because the CD changer is built in theres no changer plug on the back. I may be wrong though.
I've tried nearly all of the options for plugging in an iPod and this is easily the best so far. followed by a direct phono cable to an aftermarket HU with auxiliary inputs. The iTrip while undoubtably convenient is quite rubbish sound quality wise but handy to keep for occasional use in other cars or hire vans etc.
Not tried a cassette adapter with the iPod as I haven't had a tape deck in years but when I last did with a CD walkman I found it awfully noisy but it may have just been a cheap one.
Photos tomorrow if this rain ever stops

A2 TDi Sport. Crystal Blue

I have the tape thingy but also have the Belkin charger which has a tiny Amplifier in it. So you only have to plug one thing in and out at the bottom. Both power and sound go through the bottom connection, to the amp and then to the tape into the Symphony. Thus great sound and no hissing.

I was under the impression the Symphony has a CD changer socket as you can then in effect have a 12 disc changer? When you select options it does not deselect the Symphony as you'd expect it should. I never ever have CDs in my changer anymore and will never order a CD changer in a car again now that iPod has made life so great!

Have you seen this nifty remote (for home use obviously!):

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=TB704

TB704_screen1.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack

iPAQ 4150 with TomTom+CoPilot bluetooth, rear cupholders, luggage net, fire extinguisher and floppy wiper

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Just checked out the dension site. you're right the symphony is supported. its the navi plus thats not.

Here's some pics
The cradle with and without iPod attached
cradle_detail.jpg

Cradle.jpg

IPod_mounted.jpg

The startup screen when you insert the iPod
startup.jpg

The now playing screen, note the larger easy to read font.
Now_Playing.jpg

The Menu accessed by selecting disc 6
Menu.jpg

Browsing playlists
playlists.jpg

The setup screens. You can change the input voltage to suit your head unit. You can also turn iPod charging off and also make it charge for 2 hours after the iPod is deselected (handy when listening to radio on a long journey)
setup.jpg

Crystal Blue A2 TDi Sport. 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus. possible cruise and chip to come

P.S there will be more details and pictures of installation if anyone is interested. In my eagerness to get it fitted I didn't take any photos but I'd like to reroute the cable slightly better so will get some more photos then

Crystal Blue A2 TDi Sport. 17" Alloys, Climate, DIS, IceLink Plus. possible cruise and chip to come
thumb.jpg

I would like to see them as ive been trying to fit mine for six months !
The connectors on the back seemed very very tight, got them in once
but it pushed 2 green wires out the back. How tight were yours ?
I needed plyers to remove.
cheers

andy

1.4TDI SE, DIS ,Leather ,CD ,ipod ,Climate ,Road Angel ,Tom Tom Go.

mine weren't that tight at all. The supplied wiring harness went in the plug on the back, replacing a plug already there that had only one wire in it. this plug then plugged in to a corresponding socket on the supplied harness. sounds complicated but wasn't. Then just an earth to connect and roberts your mothers brother.
from memory the plugs and sockets were both red

thumb.jpg

You can re-route the cable on Monday Jamie - I've got to take the stereo out (amongst other things) to get the new cruise loom in place, so you can get it ezactly where you need it then.

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, all-round fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp), K&N air filter, all round tinting, all-black headlining and retro-fitted cruise control and GALA.(The NEW Tank). Retro-fit Bose coming soon!!! Now if only I could find a TT 3.2litre engine.........
A215.jpg

I'll bring my camera to get some pictures of the ice-link itself then

thumb.jpg

This is the Ice Link itself: The small DIN plug is the cable from the cradle
PICT1856.jpg

PICT1855.jpg

Andy this is the loom, the black plug is from the back of the HU, it plugs into the red socket and the red plug then goes to the HU.

PICT1857.jpg

thumb.jpg

That'll be my hand then (with the rings!) fitting your CC!

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, all-round fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! Not to mention CCC Tech chipping (118bhp), K&N air filter, all round tinting, all-black headlining and retro-fitted cruise control and GALA.(The NEW Tank). Retro-fit Bose coming soon!!! Now if only I could find a TT 3.2litre engine.........
A215.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Skipton01

That'll be my hand then (with the rings!) fitting your CC!
Hey ive got to left feet or so my im told but never seen anyone with two left hands great pics Jimbo

A2avatar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back