Ice on the inside of the screen

trufflestu

A2OC Donor
Does anyone else get this.

This morning i had to use the rubber bit on the scraper to remove ice shavings from the inside of the windscreen. It looked like small nail clippings as it was coming off.

I've checked the boot and its a dry as a bone, so moisture isn't coming in through there.

I run the climate on auto on 21 all the time turning it off 5 minutes before I get home, to give it chance to wind down before I stop.

I've run a bead of vasoline on the door seals, as last winter i got fed up of the doors sticking shut.

I had the seats valeted in the summer, and left the windows open in the works car park for a couple of days to make sure it was dry.

Other than that I'm scratching my head as to what is causing the moisture?

Don't turn the aircon off before you switch off - that's probably encouraging moisture build up in the cabin.

Does anyone else get this.

Yes, very often these days and last winter and the winter before............

This morning there was no ice on the outside but there was on the inside of the windscreen - never on the door windows. And it's a pain to shift as one can't use a spray and the windscreen is difficult to reach over the console and steering wheel.

Boot and carpets were dry last time I checked.

Desperate for a solution.

merde, I just started writing this in German...

2 possible sources:
- the filter itself
- the flaps

Your air inside the car is moist, end of. No matter why, it is.

Filter: if it's moist, then it will moisten all the car. But not really much - and it won't dry out.

Flaps: If they don't move properly, they won't let the outside air in properly. So you get circulated air in the wrong places.

I don't get ice on the inside of the windscreen until it's -20. On the side windows, yes, when it's -7 or so and - the important bit - the car doesn't really get warm and there's not enough air movement.

The climate compressor is turned off below 5C, so the humidity stays high. If it gets even a little moist and you don't let the car warm through, it will stay that way, even if the temp goes up, because the humidity remains at close to 100%.
I would not use Auto in this weather. I don't. I leave the car on HI and 1 bar and on the screen and turn the fan down again and again until it's warm. Auto won't shift enough air....

Bret

yes, it will.

What's the state of the Climate flaps? And the interior filter?

Bret

Thanks for the quick response.

The climate flaps seem ok, I run the full cycle from top to bottom at least once a month. There is no clicking noise so there not stuck.

The pollen filter was changed in the summer and the air filter was done in March 2010.

I've left the climate on instead of turning it off 5 minutes before i get home and I've not had ice on the inside since so hopefully that is all it was.

I get this too from time to time, also on the rear screen.

Best things to do when parked is to close the air vents in the dash.

Once you have de frosted the inside, use a rubber blade (I have a turtle wax one - very good and can be stored down side of passenger seat and central tunnel) or use a leather to ensure alll moisture is removed.

It will return, but will take a little longer. As previously said, the air will be moist and not a lot you can do!

Back