Idle speed in a 1.4TDI Sport - Confirmation Please

valveman

Hi, I have been an A2 owner back in 2003 for 2 years and time has come to track down another one only this time for my 17 year old daughter who is currently learning to drive. I looked at a 1.4TDI Sport today which had a few (repairable) things wrong with it, but I noticed the idling speed when hot was 1000rpm plus the engine seemed to vibrate more than it should have. I thought this was a little high as I seem to remember it was less than this when I owned mine. Could someone just confirm what the idle speed should be. The car was a 90hp version with climate control.

I also noticed the gear linkage appear to be very stiff. :confused:

Hi valveman, welcome to the A2oc
I think the idle speed is about right but I'll check it next time I'm in the car (75hp TDi)

Cheers Spike

hi valveman i can confirm that my wifes 14 tdi 75 idles at 1k rpm but it is smooth. i recently drove a 90 and that idled with a vibration due to the dual mass fly wheel malfunctioning. i find the gear box in the tdi's is tight/stiff in comparison to my fsi petrol version. hope this helps mike

hi valveman i can confirm that my wifes 14 tdi 75 idles at 1k rpm but it is smooth. i recently drove a 90 and that idled with a vibration due to the dual mass fly wheel malfunctioning. i find the gear box in the tdi's is tight/stiff in comparison to my fsi petrol version. hope this helps mike

Thanks Mike

It wasn't by any chance a guy selling a silver A2 in SW London was it?

My last A2 was a 75HP version and to be honest I wished I had never sold it as it had every extra fitted except the sunroof (I never use a sunroof). It had climate control, leather heated seats, winter pack, rear bench seat and auto dipping rear view mirror. I have never seen A2 for sale with these extras advertised in the last 6 months.

Regarding the stiff gear change: Maybe the gear selecting cables need replacing or re-lubricating as my last one had a nice smooth change. Perhaps the cables dry out over time.

My 75 idles at just under 1k (mine's a 75).
The gearchange is stiff, you get used to it (although there are several reports of low gearbox oil in people who have investigated).

Thanks Dan,

I don't remember my old A2's gear linkage being stiff, but it was 2005 when I last drove it so I could have a different prospective now having driven so many cars since.

Last edited:
Back