I'm an idiot

Deadman

I have managed to reverse my car and hit a column in a car park (slowly) which has successfully removed my drivers side mirror, and dent the door.

The damage is thankfully just contained to the drivers door, there are scratches but these are not deep, and there are no creases in the metal.

Clearly, at best it's a case of 'popping out the panel' and a respray, worst it's a new door. Gulp.

Anyone have any idea what this could set me back, and where might be a good place to go to get it fixed?

I note that Stoke audi have a new door for £100... is this fate?

Last edited:
1. Buy the two molders (trim) (new).
If there is a dent: remove the door panel and the inner metal plate to reach the inside. Then hammer out or let the painter do the work.
Get the old door respraied.

had one door panel replaced before, insurance claim, not my fault, was £1000+ at audi authorised bodyshop. That was a new door panel, respray (metallic paint) and blend in with the side of the car.

If the dent is not too deep and no paint, your local DentBuster may be able to help. I've had small dents pop'ed back into perfect condition.

Yes, try giving the paint a good polish first and take it to a paintless dent removal company, they can work wonders.

Thanks chaps, but I think I have done enough of a job to rule out any 'dent buster'.

I have quotes coming in from all over, at the moment it's looking like £1000+ (good grief) so will be on to the insurance company shortly to spoil my no claims bonus.

Ho hum.

i know it feels bad living with a car with a damaged exterior. But you have to ask yourself is it that bad you have to ruin your no claim on what sounds like cosmetic damage? The repair cost is 1/3 of the value of the car. I have a few scars on my car, the two large ones are hit and run and insurance claim will have to be on mine. Both are £500 cosmetic only jobs that I cannot yet justify. May be post a pict here and see how bad it is?

My car was damaged in a carpark hit and run and i stupidly paid a mobile smart repair guy £75 to fix it and it basically needs a whole bumper respray but until it starts chipping away i am leaving it, whilst i notice it to anyone else it looks no different post a pic because you know what you are looking for but we dont

Chris

OK, here's the proof:

picture.php

picture.php

It is indeed cosmetic, but I don't think I can live with it... i'm funny like that.

Last edited:
ooh, that does look a bit nasty. How far in does that dent go?

I'm laughing, that must be a good sign!

It probably does in about a centimeter, fairly smoothly done I have to say.
Not sure it will polish out. :rolleyes:

If nothing else I need a new mirror!

Actually, my other half did something similar a few months back, the door was covered in white scratch marks, I thought I was destined for the bodyshop. Two polishing attempts later and 95% of them came off and the dent then didn't look nearly as bad. You may find that it could be pushed out from inside the door by a PDR chap if there aren't bad creases at the edges of the dent. I also used a PDR person a couple of years back when someone ran across the front of my A4 and put two foot-sized dents in the front wing and bonnet. I took it to a bodyshop and they quoted me £900 to repair and re-spray, but the PDR guy was able to get all the dents out for £80...

There are some A2 doors on ebay at the moment...

Yeah, I did have my eye on some breaker doors, and even a new door from Stoke Audi, but I think in the long run it's going to be far easier if I just stick it on insurance - I only lose 2 years of my no claims, stump up the excess and we're done so to speak.

Yeah, but you'll also then be stymied for the next 5 years or so with higher premiums simply because you've made a claim, even though it was a claim where noone else was involved.

Yeah, but you'll also then be stymied for the next 5 years or so with higher premiums simply because you've made a claim, even though it was a claim where noone else was involved.

True enough, but it will still be far cheaper than paying for it without claiming, and it's going to be spread over a few years to boot.

Minor update: the insurance company has now agreed to the work which is being carried out by an Audi dealer, now I am just waiting to book it in.

Well today I finally collected my car from the Audi dealer, and very lovely her looks once more! Not only have they done a splendid job on the door, but I was able to get them to repair the broken wing mirror switch and the damaged passenger mirror surround (not my fault!)

So now the car is almost good as new, very happy and very shiny!

picture.php

Last edited:
WOW Congratulations, PeeBee looks amazing, hope it spends all it's life looking like that now. ;)

Cheers
Sarge

Back