I'm new here, a few questions.

Autophilia

I've really liked the quirky look of the A2 since i first saw it at the motor show and think now might be the time to get one, I've had a few VW's and Audi's in the past including a corrado G60 and an A8 v8 4.2 quattro, I've currently got a VW lupo sport but last Wednesday a moron forgot to put his handbrake on and his van crashed though a brick wall and into the lupo so I'm currently waiting to find out if it's being written off.
If it does get written off I'm going to go for an A2 next, I have a few questions, what model would people recommend if I want something with a bit of poke? Are the TDI sports ok or would I be better off with a 1.6 fsi?
do all models have rear drum brakes?
Someone told me that the lupo hubs would fit the A2, this would be handy as my lupo has the 280mm corrado G60 front brakes.
How difficult is it to convert the single din dash to double din?

Thanks
Dan

Dash swap takes about a day if you know where all the bolts are located, Tom (member timmus) and myself did a swap of dashes on my two A2, both out and swapped over and both back in all done in a day, but I've done the dash swap once before and Tom as done it more time than he as had hot dinners, which does make quite a difference.

No idea about the hubs, but the brakes on the A2 are good anyway, the TDI90 and the FSI is the only model with disk brakes on the rear, they are considered a cosmetic improvement only, the drums being more than good enough and less maintenance required on the drums
The FSI can (and very often is) a money pit on the engine side of things, a well running FSI is very nice and retuens around 50mpg, a remapped TDI is very nice to drive and returns 65 to 70mpg (I have 2 TDI's and would not have any other) I've had a 1.4 petrol which was OK, but a little under powered

cheers,
Paul

Welcome aboard.

Paul sums things up very well. I am an FSI owner, the car is very good and is capable, returning over 50mpg on a run with a family of four and a loaded boot. The torque of the TDI offers a greater punch and driving sensation. You don't need a 90, the 75 with remap can achieve over 100bhp and return great mpg too - as a former owner, it is a sweet-spot in the range.

All petrol gear boxes are like a knife through butter, very slick. The TDIs are much more firm, but are still positive.

If you are doing serious mileage the TDI may be the better bet. The FSI has many sensors which can complicate diagnosis. Government plans regarding penalising diesel and petrol owner (ultimately) may be a consideration, particularly if you drive into major towns and cities.

There are plenty of threads on here that compare models.

Cheers,

Darren

If you are after a little more poke go for a TDI 90 and remap it. Depronman in the club does one for less than £50.

My TDI 90 is currently running 135bhp and has enough power to get going quite quickly.

Hi Dan
Mk1 Audi TT hubs and discs have been to an A2 so there's a good chance Corrado parts will also work

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm currently looking at a few TDI 90s and going for a test drive in one later today, looks like it might be a better idea to try try and go for a double din model rather than swap it.

Will just have to wait and see if the lupo gets written off, I might still sell it and get an A2 if they repair it.

Also most of the ones I've been looking at are under 100k miles, should I be put off by higher mileage or are they like most of the bigger tdi's and go forever?

With proper maintenance & servicing the 1.4Tdi is anecdotally bulletproof - there are people here with mileages heading towards or beyond 300k. Am open to correction but my understanding from comments here is that the 90 (ATL?) engine is prone to occasional turbo and DMF issues that the 75 (AMF / BHC) doesn't suffer from. Watch out also for intercoolers (all models) as these fail eventually due to a deficiency in the design.

ie - https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/tdi-engines-and-engine-numbers.24922/

Welcome along from another former Corrado Owner (2x G60s and a mythical Campaign) there are a few of us on the forum here.

Double din is nice to have first off, but should by no means be a sale stopper. Budget around £300 for a dash swap including the dashboard and you won't go far wrong. Have a look at my Baby Boomer Project post in my signature for an example of a very nicely done job (by @timmus) My wife's Project X came with the double din. The advantage of the double din is it opens up a whole host of additional options when it comes to upgrading the stereo.

Hi Dan,

If Carrado hubs are common with MK2 Golf hubs then I have my golf hubs off at the moment and could offer them to my A2.

My gut feel is that MK2 golf hubs will not be compatible. It relay depends what went on a Carrado. Later TT or earlier Golf?

I suspect the hubs are not really worth doing as the Lupo is 4 stud, but A2 is 5 stud, so it's quite a swap for very little gain.

I was thinking about the hub swap as I have a set of BBS RM splits but they are 4 stud, although there does seem a better choice of wheels for the 5 stud hubs so will probably just sell the bbs's

I already have a pretty good double din stereo and audio install in the lupo so double din would be handy so I could just swap the whole lot, I have a 3d printer so I'm sure I could print any brackets or fascias I would need to convert a single din into double if I needed to.

The car I went to look at earlier had sold by the time I got there so will just keep looking.

Found out today that the lupo is going to be a total loss, so will be going to look at a couple of A2's this weekend.

I've decided im going with a 1.6 fsi as I wasn't too keen on the feel of the diesel, I think I'm too used to the revvy lupo engine lol

I'm looking at spending about 2 grand on one but would pay more for the right car, I'm quite temped by this one, what do people think?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...d=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New

Found out today that the lupo is going to be a total loss, so will be going to look at a couple of A2's this weekend.

I've decided im going with a 1.6 fsi as I wasn't too keen on the feel of the diesel, I think I'm too used to the revvy lupo engine lol

I'm looking at spending about 2 grand on one but would pay more for the right car, I'm quite temped by this one, what do people think?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804235824860?advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&postcode=ll141hs&model=A2&page=2&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New
Pass a very critical eye over the service history but perhaps more importantly any invoices for work outside of normal service items!

Ok yeah will have a good look through it, I was also looking at this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804095382587?advertising-location=at_cars&exclude-writeoff-categories=on&postcode=ll141hs&model=A2&page=3&make=AUDI&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New
But was put off by the wonky looking front parking sensors and it looks like it's been a bit messed about with.
This does look a bit naff to be fair, what was he thinking with that roof lol, your other choice looks so much nicer and worth a punt, are you set on a colourstorm model?
It’s also nice to note that cars that come from factory with double din dash also have the extra tray under the handbrake as they lose the cubby hole where the climate control is sited!
From a fellow colourstorm owner, welcome along, cheers Jeff

It's a bit higher mileage but seems well looked after, i do prefer the colour storms, the contrast of the arches stands out nicely and my corrado was tornado red so I like the colour of this one, there is a huge choice of silver and black ones out there but they just don't stand out from the crowd.

Again the 1.4 petrol is being overlooked as a good car. Ok it’s not the quickest off the mark but can feel nippy with revs up and has all the cornering fun of probably any a2. Again 50 mpg without really trying.

Last edited:
It's a bit higher mileage but seems well looked after, i do prefer the colour storms, the contrast of the arches stands out nicely and my corrado was tornado red so I like the colour of this one, there is a huge choice of silver and black ones out there but they just don't stand out from the crowd.
The Misano red is a lovely colour and really pops in the sun being metallic!

Again the 1.4 petrol is being overlooked as a good car. Ok it’s not the quickest off the mark but can feel nippy with revs up and has all the cornering fun of probably any a2. Again 50 mpg without really trying.
My lupo is the 1.4 16v 100bhp sport and yeah it's a good fun car to drive but after having a corrado G60 with 200bhp at the wheels and a 4.2 V8 A8 I'm not expecting the A2 to be particularly fast.

Last edited:
I hope you have deep pockets to keep/get the FSI running correctly
triple check that the engine management light illuminates when the ignition is turned on and goes off when the engine is running, however even this can be manipulated in the instrument cluster (EML is hot wired to the ABS light)
so there is really nothing better than a vagcom scan, would happily buy a TDI or even a 1.4 petrol without a vagcom scan if the EML was working as expected, but never on the FSI (this engine so problematic that sellers go to extreme measures to disguise the problems)
Sorry to sound so negative, but please please go into FSI ownership with your eyes open

Best of luck A2 buying
Cheers,
Paul

Back