Imminent new owner in Scotland!

krispn

Hey guys just about to buy my first A2 having just passed my test at the ripe old age of 35!

Found an A2 in Aberdeenshire, I'm in Edinburgh, and either the guy will be down here this w/e to get his replacement or I'll go up there next week and drive her home!

Really excited and looking forward to learning more form all the contributions so far here on the forum

The car appears to have just over 27K, is very clean and has had the following work done recently:

-Air Filter replaced
-Oil Filter replaced
-Fuel Filter replaced
-Pollen filter replaced
-4 spark plugs replaced
-1 sump plug replaced
-1 brake cylinder replaced
-exhaust flexi-joint replaced
-All 4 springs replaced with Pro Sport 35mm Lowering Springs which improve the handling drastically!

I believe it's the S trim and the car is perfect for my needs around edinburgh with some longer drives planned for those weeks off following night shifts :)

Any tips/advice always welcome and thanks again for such a good resource.

Gavin

There's no such thing as an 'S' trim, it's either basic, SE, Sport or Special Edition - if you look in the brochures section you can probably work out which one it is!

Another welcome from me Gavin.

'S' trim is a selection in the drop down box when registering for the site; as is 'S line' to cater for our European brethren - not sure if there was an S model on the continent; do you know Chris?

I wondered about this when moderating new memberships, and 'S' was selected quite regularly; but I think its a wee bit confusing as 'base' is not an option you can choose. Maybe need to look into this.

Back on thread; as per Chris advice, please assure you check the history carefully on a car thats done such low miles. Careful maintenance is as important ( if not more so) on a low miler as a higher one and the cambelt change is imperative.

The lowering springs and mileage sounds familiar - is this Sam from Banchory's 1.4? A 'Y' plate with cherished plate T28SMG? ( sure he's keeping that though). If so, I dont think he has had the car very long - but such is the impetousity of youth! I had several cars before I hit 25.

Hey guys thanks for the welcome and yeah its the basic not an S as I had thought.

The car is indeed the 'Y' plate as owned by Sam's. I was gonna ask if anyone on here had viewed/test driven the car as it is for sale locally on gumtree.

Any further advice or a poke in the right direction is always welcome!

G

Welcome to the forum Gavin.

Good luck with the purchase.

'S' trim is a selection in the drop down box when registering for the site; as is 'S line' to cater for our European brethren - not sure if there was an S model on the continent; do you know Chris?

I wondered about this when moderating new memberships, and 'S' was selected quite regularly; but I think its a wee bit confusing as 'base' is not an option you can choose. Maybe need to look into this.

Good point - I've renamed the S option to 'Standard' - as that was the intent of that abbreviation.

Whilst I was there, I've also added some new Mileage options to cater for the higher mileage examples we now have.

Ben

I'd be wary of the 'Lowering Springs which improve the handling drastically' actually being an anagram of 'lowering springs which utterly destroy an already very firm ride'. And a car from an 18 year old? hmm....

Anyone near the seller wanna do a little test drive on my behalf? You've got me concerned now Steven :)

Well I guess buying from a teenager might be a concern but I'm not about to assume he's driven it badly and that its a terrible car - having had some chat with him seems like he's a bit of an enthusiast for Audi/VW I guess I'll discover soon enough! Thanks for the warning though.

The thing is, many people comment on (and Audi softened during the model years) the ride being very firm as a standard car, so with the 'benefit' of lowered springs it would be a concern to me. There's a nicely unmolested looking Atlantic Blue 38k miler on Autotrader for £2200 - it's 64 miles from me (Stirling area) so must be worth a trip as a back to back test if nothing else.

New owner update :)

I eventually pulled the trigger on a silver SE closer to home with 37k, FSH etc on the clock.

Only niggles are the stereo speakers on the drivers side cuts in and out but a simple fix! Was gonna chang e the radio/taoe deck to a CD one and whack in new wiring just to be safe.

I'm really enjoying this wee car :)

Back