indicator sound

tom nl

hi,

ave got a problem with the indicator after ive used it it sometimes keeps making the indicator sound. the lights outside the car work normaly, its just the sound that seems to have started a life of its own. im going to the garage for it, but i thought to ask here first!

ciao and i hope to hear from any of you with some help!

hi tom nl i haven't had this problem on an a2 but have on an alfa 155 and a citroen . i have solved it by taking the indicator switch apart and cleaned the copper contacts. what seems to happen is the grease collects tiny particles of copper worn from the tracks and contacts---this changes the grease into a semi conducting paste. this then causes the relay to click without the lights actually flashing. not sure how easy/hard the audi switch is to take apart, maybe someone on here has done it.
tip--- i found to work is to put the switch assembly in a clear bag so if when you take it apart anything that goes flying will stay in the bag. good luck mike

Hi tom nl
Faulty flasher relays can sometimes make a clicking sound and are a fairly common problem on A2's. New relays cost around £30 and should take a garage 15 - 30 min to fit.

Cheers Spike

ok thanks guys for the info. good to know its an easu problem and not to costy! i wont be doin the repair myself, ive got a great Audi dealer and they're not expencive. But i like to know prices etc before i go and see them.

great site!

by the way a good friend of mine has just bought an A2 himself, so probably there wil be a new member here soon!

ok thanks guys for the info. good to know its an easu problem and not to costy! i wont be doin the repair myself, ive got a great Audi dealer and they're not expencive. But i like to know prices etc before i go and see them.

great site!

by the way a good friend of mine has just bought an A2 himself, so probably there wil be a new member here soon!

Yes and that's me! :D

I just bought a 2001 A2 1.4 TDI, tomorrow I will be driving it! When I made a test drive I also heard the strange indicator sound (after I used the indicator, it ratteled quick, strange noise). I hope the garage solved that problem.

Otherwise I'll fix it myself. You can replace the indicator relay but you can also repair it by taking it apart and with a small screwdriver bend the relay contacts a bit to eachother, that will solve the problem (at no cost at all).

Back