Indicators failed

sco

A2OC Donor
So both left and right indicators have simultaneously stopped working - did a quick search on here and dodgy relay seemed the most likely culprit so have ordered one from Steve. In the meantime thought it would be worth opening up the old one and trying to bring it back to life - I've removed the casing and cleaned the contacts which seemed fine but this hasn't solved the problem. With it all plugged in and ignition on I can work the relay with my finger and the indicators work as they should so does this suggest the stalk is the issue?

Cheers,

Simon.

So both left and right indicators have simultaneously stopped working - did a quick search on here and dodgy relay seemed the most likely culprit so have ordered one from Steve. In the meantime thought it would be worth opening up the old one and trying to bring it back to life - I've removed the casing and cleaned the contacts which seemed fine but this hasn't solved the problem. With it all plugged in and ignition on I can work the relay with my finger and the indicators work as they should so does this suggest the stalk is the issue?

Cheers,

Simon.

It MIGHT be, but that is not common on these, so it may still be the relay, perhaps there is a dry joint or similar.

But at A2Steve's prices, if you swap relays and it still doesn't work then at least you will have a spare.

(Have you checked the fuses by the way, and do the hazard lights work?)

Steve B

Hi Steve,

Yes Hazards work and I did check the fuse and swapped it with another to be sure. Does seem strange that both sides would fail together - fingers crossed that the new relay will solve it.

Simon.

I just replaced the relay module with one supplied by A2Steve and the indicators are back working again!

So if you get sudden and complete failure of both indicators it can still be this module that is the culprit - just got to fight it back into it's craddle and re-fit the cubby etc. now.

Simon.

Well done SCO - which number relay is the indicator one?

Um- don't quite follow you? The module is located behind the cubby - there is only one in it's own cradle. If you take the cover off the module to reveal the circuit board there are two relay packages - the smaller controls the hazards and the larger (containing two relays) controls the indicators.

Simon.

I just replaced the relay module with one supplied by A2Steve and the indicators are back working again!

So if you get sudden and complete failure of both indicators it can still be this module that is the culprit - just got to fight it back into it's craddle and re-fit the cubby etc. now.

Simon.

Good news Simon. Back on the road and rolling :)

Yes, a simple fix in the end. However, I've got to say that even though the relay doesn't need to be changed that often, couldn't the designers have thought of a better place to put it in the first place?? When there's available space in the relay holders by the fuses or in the footwell, it should really live there.

Yes, a simple fix in the end. However, I've got to say that even though the relay doesn't need to be changed that often, couldn't the designers have thought of a better place to put it in the first place?? When there's available space in the relay holders by the fuses or in the footwell, it should really live there.

Yeah a similar thought did cross my mind - "which burk thought it would be clever to use this space for the relay". Judging by the amount of skin I've lost in the process they must have been a sadomasochist!

Yeah a similar thought did cross my mind - "which burk thought it would be clever to use this space for the relay". Judging by the amount of skin I've lost in the process they must have been a sadomasochist!
I think it was the same guy that thought you could fit all of the wires AND the piping back into the tyre inflator!!!

Steve B

Back