Induction kit fitted to 1.4TDI

john-wingnut

Just thought I would post this up

Fitted a Green Cotton Filter Nano Storm Induction System today.
Am about to take the car for a spin so I will see how it goes.

I attached the system to the original pipe leading up to the MAF, as the two hoses on there are needed.

I secured the filter housing using a metal braket and cable ties, to attach it to the original filter box mountings.

I removed the RHS fog light and dismantled it, so I could use the housing as a funnel from the bumper.

Then attached the cold air feed pipe to this and job done, o and put in some mesh to stop things going in there!!!

Pics:

SL731560.jpg

SL731563.jpg

SL731564.jpg

SL731565.jpg

SL731561.jpg

Hi John

thats pretty impressive and excellent pics.. didint know you could get an induction kit for the 1.4tdi

look forward to your post around hw the car runs!!!

imran

Cheers

Its not specific to the car, its a universal kit, suitable for cars upto 150BHP.

Have taken it for a spin now, and I must say, im impressed. Much more responsive and the acceleration is better, so pretty good for £60 and a days work.

John

looks great, i dont fink id like to lose a spot light tho. where did you get the kit from?

thanks

scott

thanks for reply i lookd on ther and couldnt raly see wot you have, maaybe im missing it, could you tell me the exact item please

thanks

scott

Translation:

Thanks for the reply, I looked on there and couldn't see what you have - maybe I'm missing it. Could you tell me the exact item please?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Any potential disadvantages of an induction kit on the TDi? Does it adversely affect the ECU mapping? Fuel/Air ratio? etc etc

( PS i do not understand scotts posts.........:confused:)

Hey John, good Job, :) I haven't dealt with these things. :eek:

Doesn't only one fog make the car look odd? can't see the full face of the car.

Personally would have kept the fogs to make it look symmetrical, but I suppose wherever else you put the pipe, it won't have the same level of air fed into it.

Cheers

SARGE

Sarge, without the intercooler on the petrol, you have lots of room to mount the pipe there, through the lower bumper grill. I saw mtyA2's with a 4" pipe sucking air from there, although not an induction kit. Kind 'ram air' duct :)

It does look a tad odd, but im going to take the other out as well.

Have painted the current mesh black, so can put some on the other side as well, even it up.

Can then prob wire in some bright LEDs down there some where to replace the function.

John

That pipe drawing air from the bumper is going to act like a vacuum cleaner vacuuming dust from road ahead, meaning you'll have to clean your filter fairly often...

I wouldnt want to be wading in any water with such a low point sucking in air.
Peugeot 306's were bad for that and would suck the water right up the pipe and washing the engine out with it,epic fail with conrods everywhere.

Its a great idea but I would keep it behind the bumper and higher

no where else on the bumper for it to go, as there is no space due to the intercooler.

Putting it behind the service flap would contradict the whole point of the system, so it needs to be somewhere directly into the air, and the fog was the most appropriate as no external alteration was required.

I salute your pushing of new frontiers in this matter John and for proving it can be done.

However, I do have reservations about the kit and the position of the intake:

The kit doesn't include a water trap, which will allow moisture to get out of the system before it's ingested into the intercooler. Audi OE parts always include this (very necessary for the UK!!).

Secondly, the original intake is along the bottom of the service flap and apart from the fact that the air path takes a few twists and turns, it does provide for a direct, cold air induction system, meaning that the effect of a replacement kit will be absolutely minimal. The non-turbo petrols may benefit more, as they don't have an intercooler to supply air (and which isn't a limiting factor on power), so a bigger intake could prove useful

However, I don't want to detract from your work, which is very good.

Cheers,

Mike

I suppose the only way of being sure of the benefits will be to carry out a Rolling Road check before/after fitting? Which of course adds considerably to the cost especially if there is little improvement. How confident ( objective) are John the kit has truly improved power/performance/response?

Dont really get what you mean Mike about a moisture trap.....

The only parts i have removed are the OE filter box and piping leading to this, so is the moisture trap in those parts.

John

I've replied to your PM John, but yes, the airbox itself is the trap (with a small drainage hole if you look closely).

Cheers,

Mike

Back