Installing rear door speakers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo

I'm preparing to install some speakers in the rear doors. I took them off as mentioned in the forum. The door panels snap off cleanly, thought I broke something, but it was just unsnapping.
My question is, "Do the speakers attach to the fiberglass door panel or will they be screwed onto the aluminum door cover?" I measured the speaker hole in the door panel, it is 13.5 cm, but the holes (offset from 90 degrees??) are inside this diameter. It seems like a 10 cm speaker would fit this hole since the tabs for the screws are on the outside of the speaker. If they attach to the aluminum, then 13 cm speakers would fit. I don't know if the aluminum would then vibrate?? Or is there some kind of adapter that changes things around for the speakers? I haven't bought the speakers yet, just made a pattern to see what would fit.

2001,Silver, 1.4tdi pack,

would be interested if you could let me know how the panels come off the rear doors.
Let me know how you get on in fitting the rear speakers since i too am interested in fitting rear speakers to my car but don't want to break any clips off.

Many thanks

andrew

A.D.Simmons

Andrew,
Jesper sent me this link, http://www.megapixel.dk/albums/visalbum.php?id=2117&page=1&kode=123456
It shows pix of the entire door set up. As is mentioned elsewhere on the site remove the tweeter cover, it just pops off, pry it up with something. Remove the screw beneath it and also the two screws under the door handle.
On the bottom of the door cover is a small notch. I just pulled on this and slid a soft lever under the panel and began pulling it off. I heard a sharp pop, thought I had broken something but it was just the clip popping loose. The first time is the hardest, the second time is easier.
The bad news is that the Blaupunkt speakers that fit the factory openings are custom made. The front speakers fit the back openings, but have a one piece speaker/bracket to fit around the door stopper as it enters the door when closed. If you find Audi front speakers they will fit the rear, but the wires must also be run.
An alternative is found on this forum, not using the factory openings and redoing the door panel.

Jesus,
Where did you get the adapters for your door speakers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back