Instrument dial lenses

Keithb

Hello Everyone :),

I'm just about happy with how clean my A2 is now (finally bought a Vax and washed the interior). However the only area left are the Instrument Dial lenses. Mine seem to have been previously cleaned with a scouring pad, and there is dust inside the central DIS area.

Now taking the dials out seems easy enough (according to Eslawin :)), but do the lenses come off the dial pack, and more importantly do Audi sell them seperately? Reading through previous 'Instrument dial' threads I'm concerned Audi only sell the lenses attached to the whole dial unit. :(

Any ideas?
Thanks,

Keith

you get special stuff for polishing plastic watch faces,like all my swatches
:D
Unsure where you would get the stuff lately tho

Hi Keith
As you suspect, the instrument panel comes as a complete unit with no individual parts being available seperately. With care it may be possible to dismantle the pod for access to the back of the instrument lenses for dust removal / cleaning
As chubbybrown said, there is a special perspex polish for cleaning plastics. Never tried the stuf but see link for one example I found on the web
http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/erol.html#3368X3373

Cheers Spike

The instrument cluster comes out by evenly lifting/popping up the plastic over hang/ Shroud around it (sorry don't know exact name for it), there will be 3 screws of the torx type, one on top, and two under the little leather trim directly below the instrument cluster, it is pushed on just above the steering column.
After removing the 3 screws, carefully lift cluster up and forward a little and there will be 3 cables connected in the back (3 if you have DIS 2 and 2 if you don't), these have clips that will need pushing over, then connectors will disconnect.

When you have removed the Cluster or clocks, then turn it round and look at the back, you will see 2 small torx screws on either sides, remove these and then gently push the little black clips around the edges of the clocks, which will allow the front lens to come away from the clocks.

IF you like I will do a 'how to' for you if you guys think it will help. Let me know.

SARGE

BRILLIANT. Thanks chaps that's the kind of info I was after. I'll order some of that plastic polish and then have a go at de-scratching the lenses.

Thanks Sarge, I kind of thought the facia would come off but I didn't want to pull the dash apart until I knew for sure. I've had the glove box out of my '2 so I'm assuming the same kind of slow and steady demantling is required (as with any interior work). :)

Sarge has a great detail on taking it out. I would add becareful when you try to lift the hood out, they are two pieces top and bottom, and should be lifted out separately. I broke the lower clips on the sides the first time I did it. I tried to pull it out at an angle instead of lift straight up. Fortunately, I have some industrial strength epoxy to glue them back.

With the clock out, it should be much easier to polish it. Becareful of the soft touch plastic coating on the black surface, it can be rubbed off! I would google for 'ipod scratch removal' and check the reviews of the products! They are all abrassive in some way but reports of great success using ... believe it or not, toothpaste! Not those fancy whitening with added bits and bobs, plain old all white toothpaste.

good luck!

Completly agree with humps. I have used toothpaste to polish many plastic item / surfaces, including the dial faces on my A2, and the screen on my mobile phone. It also smells minty fresh afterwards :D:D:D

Don't steal it out of the bathroom though, my missus is still looking for it ;)

Cheers,

Dave

Duraglit works well too (you know, the silver polish wadding stuff). If you want to remove the clocks, first remove the two torx screws that hold the shade on (careful removing this, as there are two plastic prongs that extend down at the front, that are really easy to snap), then remove the fake leather trim behind the steering column to expose 2 more screws. This can be tricky, but it is held in place by friction and a hook at the lower edge on each side.

Then take these 2 screws out and the single one at the rear of the clocks and lift up and out, releasing the cables at the back as you go.

Cheers,

Mike

Hehehehe toothpaste huh! I have heard about toothpastes polishing properties before so I think i'll give it a try.:D
Cheers y'all. :)

Keithb - Ben has done a 'How To' and in there you can see how to remove the Clocks...

SARGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure this would work on the plastic on the lenses, but I once used a scourer to clean some clear plastic by mistake ( I picked up the wrong cloth) and got it scratched, but remedied it by boiling the plastic in a sausepan of water - the scratches disappeared! Not sure if would work but if you were prepared to risk it....

Keithb - Ben has done a 'How To' and in there you can see how to remove the Clocks...

SARGE

Sarge mate that is superb, its a little trickier than I'd imagined but perfectly do-able. Thanks for finding that it looks like it could save me several hours and a few bits of broken trim (I love this site so very much)!

I've ordered some Megs PlastX (another excuse to buy more Meguiars product!), so I'll try that on the lenses.

I'll report back when I'm done. :)

Back