insurance & foreign drivers in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerard

hey dudes,

i'm an american driver, been driving for 15 years and no accidents etc...

i had to get a provisional driver's license as my american license is not exchangable for UK one.

now i'm told that to be added to my wife's insurance it will cost £100 a month...

does that sound right?

it seems quite expenive to me...

i think we are already paying about £450 a year already...

thanks,
gerard

2003 1.6 SE FSI Cobalt Blue & 1968 Dodge Charger

Sounds about right to be honest-I'm paying about £330 a year in a low risk area, full no claims, garaged overnight, group 6 (I think!) car.

Don't forget that the A2 is costly to repair so that will push up the premium.

Best thing is to shop around when your insurance is next up for renewal.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Which insurance company is it?

If you're over here quite a bit, what about taking the UK driving test. If you had a full UK license instead of a provisional one, that would probably lower the premium by quite a bit.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a 1.4SE petrol. http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk14.htm http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/safety.htm
New A2 on order - Ebony Black, Red Leather + many other options.

Welcome to the land of ridiculous insurance rates!

[15]
Companies here will not carry over any no claims bonuses!
Coming over from Australia 3 years ago (And remember we drive on the same side of the road) I'm 30 with no convictions (Choose where you speed ;) ) and no accidents.. a 1500 quid car was gonna cost me... get this... 4500 quid a year to insure!?! The car.. a 2 litre Ford Sierra estate (Base model not Cosworth) - woman from insurance company was trying to tell me that "It was a very powerful car". (My last car in Oz was a 5 litre V8 and I've been on road & track on supersport bikes for the last 8 years - THEY are powerful... 2 litre family wagons are not!)

[17]
Just to give you an idea of what a rip off it is here... at 25 in Australia I had fully comp insured my new 1997 CBR900RRV motor bike for AU$400 a year, thats about 144 quid! The same here would cost me about 1500quid a year (About AU$4200!! WTF??)

Even now my wifes 400 quid Rover 214 costs 350 a year to insure TPFT under my name![2]

>:|

Cheers
Rod

You have to shop around because premiums vary a lot. Mine ranged from £250 to £1250 for the same cover with different insurers!

Try Endsleigh and Elephant.co.uk i got my best quotes from them £900 under dads name 7years NCB for the TDi as its more to insure and £850 for petrol under mums name btw i'm 19 so to insure both under my own name full comp would be £3.4-4k, they are among the cheapest i have seen, as far as getting a full license instead of prov well the premium will not budge at all within first year, also with regards rto tpft premium insureers have started to bump the prices on those because they now assume that if u insure your vehicle under such low a cover you dont care about it and will just bump into people carelessly (in some respects thats true as u dont really care with old cars.)

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

1.4TDiSE 2002, Biege interior, Brilliant Black, Concert II.

Off the top of my heat was around £2000-2200, I found endsleigh cheaper though around £1800-2000 as I say off the topp of my head I got the quote when I was 18. When this yars insurance comes around I can tell you the exact quote, bare in mind that the quotes generated by the quick quote calculators can be off by upto £200 for <25 drivers but tend to be dead accurate for post 25 drivers.

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

The reason I aksed is that in my first year with elephant.co.uk I paid £1200 fully comp in my own name (I was only 19 at the time)

Now I have a years no claims I pay £980.

It might be worth your while phone them personally to try get a similar quote.

[2002] | 1.4 | azure blue | 2 tone leather | concert II single cd.
Member of A2OC site.
http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk12.htm

Oki worth checking out in oct when current cover runs out. Thanks for the info.

A Canadian friend of mine has lived here for 10 years and he still only has his Canadian drivers licence. He just tells his insurer that thats the licence he has and has no problem insuring himself (cost OK etc).

Ricardo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back