Insurance Smallprint

A2-BC

Just got my insurance renewal from a good and reputable company and was casually reading through some of this years changes. Came across this in the 'Accidental Damage' section exactly as written.

"The following words have been added"

Repairs.
We may use parts or accessories, which are not made or supplied by your car's manufacturer but are of a similar type to the parts and accessories we are replacing.

I've never come across that before. It probably won't affect many repairs but I wonder where they draw the line given that most manufacturers specifically recommend not using pattern parts. Seems like another way that the finance and insurance companies are trying to save cash.

What will it be next? "We may fit slightly used but servicable..."

Brian

This is quite common now Brian - I had a heck of a job getting Tank repaired by an Audi bodyshop when he got side swiped a few years back - I ended up pointing out to Direct Line that the car was made from aluminium and was still under warranty, so I had to use an approved bodyshop, not just one approved by them.

They caved in eventually, but it took a fair few calls.

Eventually, we'll be paying massive premiums for virtually no service, they've got us all over a barrel as it's a legal requirement.

Cheers

Mike

I have come across this before - can't remember insurer. I was repairing my BMW at the time - someone had broken the side window. The insurer arranged to repair the glass with non-BMW glass (no logo) so I was left with this.

I argued at the time that if the front was damaged, this logic meant that they could replace the 'BMW' badge with another badge!

I now always look at policies to ensure this isn't stipulated.

Back