Interior noises (inside the dashboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2day

Hi!
I've you noticed noises inside the dashboard everytime you accelerate or brake?
It looks like two different plastic part rubbing each other...
:-(

Even on the highway (good road, with almost no bumps) I can hear it.

Any tip would be fantastic.

Cheers,
A2day

It could be the wiring loom. Mine had the same problem and the dash had to be removed to re fix it. doner under warranty

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Same here-I complained of what I thought was a trim rattle and they told me they had isolated some wiring and it is now fixed.

But maybe by them removing the trim that it did fix the rattle.....we will never know!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Hi,

I don't hear any rattle, mine has a plastic squeek in the middle pillar near the mountpoint of the safetybelt. The mechanics advise was maybe not to have it fixed (it's a minor sound) because the proces of removing the trim from the pillar can cause more rattles and squeeks than fixed.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Dennis
I had exactly the same noise from the middle pillar in my first A2 and they fixed it no problem.

But, being honest Dennis, don't you think their excuse is a little odd?. Trying to fix it may cause more problems?. Mmmmmmmmmm......excuse not to bother, or did my dealer not care if they caused more noise for me.......I wonder!!!!

quote:Originally posted by runboy

Dennis
I had exactly the same noise from the middle pillar in my first A2 and they fixed it no problem.

But, being honest Dennis, don't you think their excuse is a little odd?. Trying to fix it may cause more problems?. Mmmmmmmmmm......excuse not to bother, or did my dealer not care if they caused more noise for me.......I wonder!!!!

Sure, the reply is a bit of a sorry excuse. But my brother is a mechanic too and he assured me that sometimes removing big pieces of trim actually causes more squeeks than that it cures.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Wrap you A2 in plastic then fill with oil-it will cure all squeeks!.

Just don't corner any faster than 5mph or you will slip out of the seat!.

I know what your saying-I also read about some people having dashboards removed to cure one rattle and ending up with 5 more when they got the car back!.

Hi!
I have exactly the same problem....just the same. it is very annoying. Any suggestion? I hope that my dealer is able to repair soon

same like a slight buzzing noise from the dash? Which wiring loom ? Do you have air con on yours?

Also rattles/squeeks from rear seat uprights

The rear seat upright noise on my A2 came from the catch where you adjust the rear seat backs into one of two positions. The catch/latch mechanism needed creasing and all has been well since.

Mine has developed a really annoying rattle somewhere between the centre console airvents. If you hold either the grabs handle as it buts upto the centre console or the top left corner of the vents in the centre console it stops the noise but I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer incase they have to remove the dash. I had the dash removed last year due to a replacement condenser for the climate control. The dealer made a bit of a mess of the dash. Had to have both side airvents replaced and the instrument binnicle as they damaged these while removing the dash. They also had to replace the passenger door centre where the electric window switches are as they mangled this with their screwdrivers.

If you live with these noises for a while you may end up not noticing them any more.

Chivers ':)'
'02 A2 1.4TDi SE

chivers

I tried that with the ex-misses. But she was still there........(not now thank goodness)

Mine squeaks from somewhere around the passengers seat, cannot for the life of me locate it, unless you have it pulled right forward, or have a passenger in it all the time. Haven't got round to sorting it yet, trying to get some other wiring problems sorted out (I may have caused a TDi Sport recall single handed, sorry guys), I'll get them to sort my squeak out then.

Fi

Fi
Yes, it's not worth the hassle going around the seat with a can of WD40 as you'll never find the noise. I find that adjusting the backrest slightly stops the noise for a while but ultimately the dealer is best to sort it.

And any wrongly sprayed WD40 can cause havoc with hard cornering......

Hi!
Not only I've got noises on the dashboard, but also on the trunk.
Both trunk covers make lot of low-frequency sound... :-(
Usually I use the top curtain opened, and the folded cover (over the spare tire) folded back (yes the spare tire is visible from the outside...) ..but this is the only way to minimize the noises...

Any idea? How about using some rubber compound on the folded cover?

Cheers,
A2day

A2day
I had the same problem with the folding floor.

I put some soft stuff (felt, velcro etc) on the last 5cm of the floor support near the rear of the car as this is where the folded floor touches and bumps up and down. Works well.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hello folks.

I have recently taken delivery of a new A2 1.6 (after returning the last one to the dealer due to an unresolvable creaking from below the gear lever (the engine mounts apparently)). However, this new vehicle has 3 annoying rattles (rather than just the 1 creak). I have the following:

1) Centre console rattle/knocking (going in on Thursday to have the dashboard removed - that wiring loom issue I think).

2) Rear seat upright catch squeak/rattle. When the car was last in for fixing, they said they fixed it - but no luck. I will take the information I have from here and get them to crease the mechanism.

3) Rattle from bonnet release catch.

I am amazed that these problems are so common. The motoring media are constantly telling how well contructed Audi's are. They are obviously driving A8s and such like.

This is a real shame, as the vehicle is such a neat package otherwise, let down by these tiny niggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back