Is anyone making their own biodiesel?

dan_b

A2OC Donor
Is anyone on the forum making their own biodiesel and running it in their A2?

With diesel over 130p/litre and rising, I'm thinking that 2500 litres a year of duty-free home production is starting to look like a very good thing to do, but not if it's going to bork my engine/ injectors/ fuel pump.

I know there's been plenty of discussion in the past on waste vegetable oil being completely unsuitable, and that there was also discussion of a conversion kit for the A2 to use some form of biodiesel, but I just wondered if there was any home moonshine production going on?!

The age of austerity is making me think big about cutting my costs :rolleyes:

Hi Dan_b

i had been making biodiesal for about 3 years up until i was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. i will give you my feeling first - im convinced the constant contact with harmfull chemicals was the catalyst to me contacting this disease. So beware.

anyway

yes dont use svo or wvo - it will shag your injectors.

with regards to biodiesal plants there are a lot on the market, that are utter rubbish., they do not remove the methonol from the fuel.

there is a guy in suffolk called james leach who builds super plants in his shed - he does it for a hobby to suplement his retiremnt.

there is a great forum for vegi/bio people.

see

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

the guy i refer to is jamesRl on there.

my plant cost me £1300, but if you can get the oil free,fuel works out at around 13p per liter.

i ran my old A2 for years on it without problems.

hope this helps

john

the actual A2 handbook actually has the suggested standards of biodiesel that can be used in the A2. Doesn't say anything about converting the car.

Just says these set types of biodiesel can be used

John

your absolutly right john, both my 2001 and late 03 a2's both same bio is ok, provided it comes up to en standards.

john

Its worth checking but suspect car manufacturers only approve B10 fuel which is only 10% bio. I worked for a truck diesel engine company and they were considering approval for B20 fuels but had some reservations.
For reference, the standard for diesel is EN 590

Cheers Spike

So if I was to find someone making & selling Bio Diesel at 60p a liter what would I have to check to see if it was okay to use i my car ?

Back