Is clutch dying?

Richard_S

Any thoughts on this one;

Put my foot down on clutch pedal ( car cold, just started) and pedal stayed fully depressed....gave it a couple of pumps and eventually popped back up. I noticed that as I was driving and changing gears the pedal doesn't always pop swiftly back up, so a bit of a clutch ride goes on....It's very marginal, but of course now that I've noticed it, I'm paying attention.

Not being a mechanic I thought I would ask the clever people on this forum for any thoughts, before I get ripped off doing unnecessary work, when all it might need is some WD40

When this happened to me (on my old Passat) they told me it was the clutch master cylinder. As an alternative to pumping the clutch, try pushing the clutch pedal from the underneath up with your foot, does that also work?

I'll have a go at lifting it with toe, although didn't pass that technique when I did my driving test! I tend to have to agree; would think that there is something wrong with master cylinder, although it hasn't happened recently...so somewhat confused. Knowing nothing about car mechanics my un-educated guess would even be as simple as "in needs some WD40 on the pedal thingy"...to get it sliding better...

Back