Chat Is it just me? ......

The shape should be quite close if the design requirement and aerodynamic drag is to be in the same kind of range.
That said the rear windows are a bit iffy, It looks a bit like an illegitimate love child of an A2 and a Range Rover Evoque....

It's very much like an A2. I rather like it. Apparently there's a range extender version coming out which sounds interesting.

Not a bad comparison to draw when there isn't a new A2. I dislike the treatment of the rear windows and pillars, I dislike contrived roof & window lines on the whole though. I think the original C-Max used the shape well.

there is DEFINATELY a new A2 soon...

In an amazing collaberation Audi have engaged an arch competitor to produce the next A2 in range extender and full electric modes. Near production ready prototypes are now testing and (if I could set the link up) photos can be found today on Auocars website. The car is the...................wait for it............

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

BMW i3........... go on, look at the profile and tell me it isn't an A2 clone. Presumably this is why Audis designer was sacked last week after only 10 months in the job for letting BMW do his job for him.

I've been watching the i3 with interest. These latest generation of carbon fibre cars are changing the game. I'm sure more OEM will be following quite soon. Good news for us economy fans.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-i3-spotted-during-final-testing

bmw-i3-spy-l-l-16.jpg

Oh dear, back to school for me! It comes of becoming too reliant on automatic spell checking at work......

I was thinking exctly the same thing.
Its also supposed to utilise a number of new light weight composits to keep the weight down so following the A2 footsteps there as well as the shape.
Shame its electric really or I might have been in the market.

Audi was just 10 years too early with the A2

it does look a lot like the A2!

Under 8sec to 62mph, with BMW dynamics. If it has A2's interior packaging and space, this is a winner for me! I'd probably go for the pure EV model, only need to charge it twice week for our usage! But then it is £35k...

I think the range-extender version might be worth keeping an eye on, see what they do with that.

Skinny tyres are the new phat, just like on that new Toyota coupe :)

Slightly weird rear doors? Now if they just got rid of the kidney grille and stuck four rings on it...

Thanks for the reminder Adrian, I've merged the two threads :)

There seems to be some genuine excitement about this car. At last a new car that holds similar values to the A2.

Audi have really dropped the ball on this one - a new A2 could have been a perfect competitor for this.

More I look at it the more I see the parallels with the A2 - innovative materials, high efficiency, roomy and comparatively expensive(!). Haven't seen a review that even mentions this.

And I know I'm missing the point here, but:

Will it drive like a 'proper' BMW? And at 32k, how long do you have to drive it for before it works out cheaper over all than say a 120d at 23k? By my rough calculations maybe 4 years or more? Food for thought!

Audi really got the willys after presenting the Mk2 A2 concept didn't they...
A shame - I reckon if they had had developed the concept they showed even as a traditional ICE powered car for launch they would have sold. It was a distinctively different offering to the A1 and A3 and filled a niche that Audi currently doesn't plug, which is a high efficiency small flexible family MPV type wagen but one which is definitely Vorsprung Durch Teknik. But instead they binned it (and all their other e-tron platforms!) for stuff like the RQS5 or what ever it's called.

Just read through Chris Harris' piece on the i3 http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=100&i=28060

His conclusion at the end is basically, what if the A2 was continued, it would by now have a 1L/1.2L turbo both petrol/diesel capable of mega miles per tank at very low CO2 and weights well under 1000kg.

I like the i3, i think it is smart. It covers 98% of my driving needs and will cost very very little to run (I think 2 charges a week, <£2 per charge and also no expense in engine oil, cam chain/belt waterpump schedule, clutch nor air filter spark plugs). I just have to get a large roof box for the other car for longer trips.

I have also wondered, the point in the article about total CO2 cycle. I can't imagine the CFRP passenger shell is saving that much more weight than if it was Aluminium spaceframe for the whole car and not just the rolling chassis. Add to that, Aluminium has recycle energy advantage, can't help to think it would be cheaper and less overall life cycle CO2. But scare not, if Audi can sniff any success of the i3, I'm 100% confident they will follow the market like they always do. This can only mean a new A2.

Back