Is it worth keeping?

Volcom

hello hello

Ive Had my A2 for about 3 months now but already its caused more problems in that 3 months than my other car which i had for a year :confused:

Its Already had the starter motor changed, last week the engine management light came on and was to do with some sensor for the exaust (sorry cant remeber the word dont have the report with me) anyway which cost over £300, then a day later its on again now to do with the coolent system sensor !bang! another £120 gone :( and next few months 2 tyres are needing changed :eek:

This car is amazing and really dont want to give it up but money is an issue, i think there now unique as there not being made anymore but...

would it be worth hanging on to it?

Hey Valcom, I think most of us on here would be slightly biased. :rolleyes:

I guess what it comes down to is how much you like the car and are willing to tolerate/shell out each time it goes wrong. No one can predict how often your A2 is going to go wrong and how much it will cost you in the long run.. :eek:

Best of luck with which ever decision you make. :)

Yeah of course i know that many things happen to cars and that at some point ill have to fork out money :(

maybe im unlucky as its all happened in the first three months and as you say it is a joke how much these sensors cost :eek: hmm yeah it was that sensor you mentioned

its a 2002 model 1.4 SE

It may be the case that you've had all the bad luck you're going to have, but only time will tell.

Perhaps you can think about trading it in for a diesel version - much more reliable, with no cats or lambda sensors, coils etc to go wrong.

Cheers,

Mike

at least now you have fixed a few things and you won't be wrong to think positive about future ownership of the car. How do you know your next car (A2 or not) will not suffer the same problems? E.g. if you get a diesel, the intercooler could leak, turbo can go wrong. You were certainly unlucky, but that's all. I've had spending on other wearable items like battery, air-con compressor but none of the other sensor problems with my 2001 car!

I wish you better luck from now on :)

I second humps' view, "better the devil you know". you got all new bits on there now.

people often get rid of cars when minor niggles start appearing etc particularly intermittant engine management lights etc. Least you hopefully have them sorted.

I had to sort a couple on wiring issues on mine (2002 model), i've been trouble free for nearly 10,000 miles now. I cant promise you the same however I hope that if you do stick with it that it all works out.

Also you are in fantastic company on here, people can help with diagnostic scans (way cheaper than dealer (sometimes accept beer tokens!)) , guidance for fitting your own parts etc. to save on labour costs.

Best Wishes

Gary

Last edited:
After thinking there was no question that ill keep my car as i wanted this for soo long, everything was fixed and hope that should be it for now :)

Thanks for all your opions guys :D

I was the same when mine started failing, but I refuse to part with it, so I fixed everything and modified it a little and now it needs fixing again, but hey... That's life.... I won't sell mine and I think you should keep yours and enjoy it. You will get problems with ANY car. Stick with it and enjoy!!

Cheers,

Mines been a really pain in the back bum replaced alsorts most expencieve all 3 engine mounts to a cost of well thank fully just the mounts and a few quid for my brother in laws time.
Ive a few more issues but love its quirckiness so wont be gettin rid any time soon,
Keep it far better than most bland euro boxs on the road.

Back