Is this what a perished rear axle bush looks like?

Exe_Chris

I've been getting some tell-tale clunking recently, seemingly from the rear of the car. As the dampers, springs, and mounts are all in good shape, my suspicions are now directed towards the rear axle bushes. I've just taken a photo of the area (below) which looks to me like it has sagged inwards - seemingly a sign that the bushes are kaput. It's the same on both sides, so I'm just wondering: Is it possible that they are designed to do this or are they indeed toast?

IMG_20201220_133339.jpg

Sounds probable based on your description and the image. Got mine replaced when the rear suspension rebuild was done in the summer - I had had sporadic groans going over depressions from the rear of the car for a couple of years, and the mechanic did say that they weren't great once he got them removed. Some new Febi-Bilstein bushes along with all other new components (shocks, seats, bump-stops, nuts and bolts) apart from springs and the ride has been both smooth and quiet ever since.

Phil Ward did a great How To on replacing the bushes. There some pics of the 'worn' ones but unfortunately none provide a direct comparison to your photo. Still worth a read though (and I'd agree with your 'toast' diagnosis)

Cheers Spike

If doing in situ i am guessing its best to undo and remove the bush center bolt (if its actually possible in practice) to avoid messing up rear suspension geometry??

If this works been done in the south guessing it will cost a fortune based on recent reported bills!

Thanks for the replies - just looking for assurance before I pay 'the man' to replace them. Unfortunately DIY is too risky since I don't have a second car to use.

Bushes look normal to me, they do flex like that. What is the mileage?

Ian

It's 138k, so certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they have gone.

Thanks for the replies - just looking for assurance before I pay 'the man' to replace them. Unfortunately DIY is too risky since I don't have a second car to use.

We changed Adams at 134k and they were past their best.

It's 138k, so certainly wouldn't be a surprise if they have gone.

Back