Its all new to me!

Birty

Just got hold of our first A2 54 plate tdi sport (smaller bhp)and enjoying. Need to do research though cos the suspension , low profile tyre combo hates holes! Lots of advice on here but gonna take some time i think? Sticking starter motor and hideous rattle behind radio area next on list once i sus out how to remove radio. Blootooth reqd and engine re map are a must also! Remap this week if possible? Enjoying yes but lots to sort that maybe Audi should av done? Will post a pic soon..

Your rattle that sounds like it's behind the radio (believe it or not) is likely to be a worn bonnet catch. Move the bonnet with your hand at each upper corner and if there is some play in it this makes an infuriating rattle. Very common. Cheap to fix fortunately.

Welcome to the club

As murdo says, possible rattle from the corner of the bonnet that seems like it comes from the centre of the dash.

Good news is, they are £3 the pair from Audi dealers and just click into place. A five minute job.

8Z0823417A x 2 bonnet plastic holders £3

thanks guys, fingers crossed for fix. Now then - that ruddy suspension/wheels!!!

Lots of suspension advice on here. I've just bought some Monroe reflex dampers from amazon. Amazing half price bargain at 118 quid. Intend combining these with spidan springs. Also purchased all the ancillary bump stops, sleeves, nuts and bolts etc. It's all listed here if you search on spidan / monroe/ suspension - in ' titles only'.

Koni FSD a popular choice too but they're significantly more expensive than the monroe.

Your starter issue. Does it squeal on the overrun or stick completely at the first couple of turns?

The former is fixable by removal and giving the mechanism a good oil. The latter could be an earthing issue.

I have the same car, agree the sports alloys low profile tyres hate pot holes, I find I have to drive looking ahead for pot holes if you hit one you certainly know about it,recently took the side wall out on new tyre so not happy with set up, but they do look great, I will look at changing my alloys to 16inch.
Welcome to the A2OC, Happy A2 motoring.

Last edited:
I guess people on here expect me to pitch in when wheel sizes are mentioned.
So here goes.

Hit a pothole with a 17" wheel and it is a horrible sensation. Hit that same pothole at the same speed with. 61" or even 15" wheel on and you will still get that horrible sensation.
I won't start off again with my, 16" tyre has Half an inch more sidewall than a 17" tyre, but llease don't expect a noticeable change in the feeling when you hit a pothole just because you have half an inch more sidewall. But it is scientific.
Steve B

Welcome!
The suspension of the A2 has long been a source of lots of investment in time and money for how to improve compliance, ride quality and reduce pot-hole crash! As you've discovered, the combination of the Sport suspension and 17" alloys is on the firm end of the suspension spectrum!

To add to the posts above, you can do a couple of things:

1. replace all the bump stops, bushes and what not in the existing suspension
2. keep the 17" wheels but go for a slightly oversized tyre size to increase side-wall depth
3. downsize the wheels to 16" (or even 15"), and re-size the tyres again to increase side-wall depth (e.g. a 195/50/16)
4. change the suspension for something proven to be more compliant - either the Monroe Reflex with Spidan springs, or the Koni FSDs with Spidan or Weitec.

For what it's worth, I have Koni FSDs and 195/50/16s - it's a good combination.

Again great advice from all. Thanks. Yes I have a very rattly corner to the bonnet /pass side! Also running around on 205/40/17. Not much depth there then! Just like the Rattle fix is there a part to this forum that lists all the 'Must do' on purchase! I had a MX5 and the forum listed all the quirks that can be sorted. i.e unblock drain holes in behind the seats etc etc....

Hi
check out the links to the how tos which is in the how to section under the mechanical sub section.
Steve B

Lots of suspension advice on here. I've just bought some Monroe reflex dampers from amazon. Amazing half price bargain at 118 quid.

Sorry to hijack but was that price for 4 shocks? I have found some cheap listings on Amazon before but they quote 2-3 months delivery.

Sorry to hijack but was that price for 4 shocks? I have found some cheap listings on Amazon before but they quote 2-3 months delivery.

Yes that's for 4. I'm not too fussed about the time for delivery as it's not a job I'm in any hurry to have done.

edit: just checked amazon and it says they are dispatched. Monroe E4998 and E1309. No hijack as OP enquiring about suspension anyway ;)

Last edited:
Ordered mine from Amazon in the middle or March and they turned up today. I think the price is going up the more of us that buy them mind. My set went up by £20 overnight just before I ordered them i.e get in soon.

Ordered mine from Amazon in the middle or March and they turned up today. I think the price is going up the more of us that buy them mind. My set went up by £20 overnight just before I ordered them i.e get in soon.

What springs you going for Steve?

Re: The front rattle. If it isn't the bonnet catch, check the cage that holds the brake fluid reservoir. Follow the metalwork that runs next to the suspension turret and you will see how it also supports the turbo pipe. Mine was broken and had to wait for about 10 days for a new one!

What springs you going for Steve?

Really not sure yet. There is no urgency to do the work at the suspension is great on the car as it is at the moment but I just couldn't leave the Monroe shocks there for that price.

Ideally i'd get Eibach 20mm springs but they are now out of production. I want to imrpove the handling without lowering the car by more than 20mm. Most of the springs on the market lower by 30mm+ from what I can see.

thanks Leopard but bonnet is really loose so ordered anyway and will check the cage you suggest.
Suspension: Its comfort, not handling would be my priority.. I had the MX5 for handling..wow!!

It was the nearside bonnet , plastic catch insert thingy bobs! Cant believe such a small item/job can make so much noise!! The old part didn't even look different from the new part ,best £1.62 ever spent!!! Thanks to all. Now then back to that ruddy suspension......

Back