It's noisier than before...

bretti_kivi

I got a service done by an independent mechanic last week. Longlife oil, plugs, filters. Now something's vibrating when the engine's warm and it's warm outside, especially at around 50mph. Very annoying as that's the legal limit here.
My tickover is now also even lower than before. I think the Tacho is running around 400rpm below where it should be, as 75mph is 3400rpm and I'm pretty sure it should be closer to 4000, with 50mph being 2350 and 60 2950 or so. I can fix that, it happened when I replaced the needles.

The thing that's made me wonder is the "diesel style" to the tickover now.
It was definite yesterday, after a 100km drive through some great roads; I got back and the left side of the engine bay was defintely the source of the noise. Today when the car is cold, I get nothing except a large "air" sound, which is I presume either the pump for climate or the air filter / movement itself. Turning climate off makes no difference, I didn't try with Eco.

The "diesel" factor comes in that it's smoother and runs better, but it's a bit more clattery. I'm wondering (now I've seen that the plastic holding the spark plug cables is not fastened) if there's something I've missed? There's play in the air intake itself, which I'll fix, and I'll check that the undertray is fixed properly when I take the wheelarch liners out for more damping.
Any other tips as to what I should be looking at? I now have a "noise" problem that's so extreme, the loudest sound at 120km/h is the OSS. At 100 it's a toss up between that and the tyres; at 80 it's silly quiet and I'm still trying to push it down. I'm hoping my rear windows have slipped, or I'm going to have to use some tape...

Bret

Last edited:
Not sure about your noise problem. but I'm pretty sure 75mph is around 3400rpm because I know it is just a touch over 3000 when steady at 70mph. It is closer to 4000 when at 80mph. That's assuming you have the same gear box as me (FDM?)

Any chance the 'diesel clatter' could be a faulty alternator pulley? I think all A2's have a ratchet mechanism within the pulley which slips when the battery is fully charged. Ref the attached mail, the pulleys are known to fail - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10015&highlight=alternator+pulley
From cold the alternator will be working to top up the battery after starting but on a long run the alternator should be freewheeling where a faulty pulley would be most noisy - thats the theory anyway.

Cheers Spike

that makes more sense, actually, because it's only recently when the battery has been really, really charged (three hour trips with just DRLs on and climate, at relatively high speeds) and in the winter I did get a couple of issues with the light flicking on and off.

Hmm. I think I will look into this, I was looking at replacing the alternator anyway with a 140A one...

Revs vs speed: somewhere around 33km/h per 1000rpm in top seems to fit. OTOH, I have big boots on at the moment (215/40R17)... I will move the needle, I think.

Bret

just did a 250 miles trip in the weekend, steady at 70mph mostly. I can confirm it was 3200rpm at 70mph and bang on 3400 rpm at 75mph (speedo indicatedl). It didn't hit 4000 at 80mph. I'm running 195/50R16 so it is about 3mm smaller in diameter than 215/40R17.

Back