I've just joined after rattle drives me bonkers!

Dfens

Great site. I've owned 2 A2's and love them. I sold my first one for a Honda s2000 then sold it and have had this last one for 7 years!
I've driven them all over Europe and they've been great. I must admit that I'm a bit of a 'get in and go' type and have never even looked under the bonnet in anger.
I would like to give my car a little TLC and so decided to join your site. First off, I've got a rattle from the wiper. I suspect it had a rubber seat that spaced it from the glass. It's not there any more and the rattle can on occasion be so bad I have to get out and stick some paper or card under it. As soon as you move the wiper though its off obviously. Does anyone know what this bits called and where I can get a new one?
Also, I think the mudflaps look cool on some of the pictures I've seen here. Where can I get some?
Do you have meets and stuff.
Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the the A2oc.

I don't think you can buy the rubber grommet that is missing. I think some members have used a blob of slicone or tried different gromits until they found one to fit.

The best place for the mud flaps is from your local dealer. They come with all the fixing, well made and last forever.

We do have meets but have had our last one for the year now, but they will start again march/April.

Regular events are audis in the park in Aug, Audi driver international in oct, end of year meet and curry night end nov and quite a few more meets spread throughout the year.

Cheers

David

Hello,

Does your car have the 'floppy wiper'? Later A2s came with a wiper blade which has no visible metal support along the blade.
If not, you may consider upgrading. A new wiper arm is required to hold the new blade and the kit costs about £75, but it works much better than the old variety, is much quieter in operation and also presents less aerodynamic drag. It'd also solve your rattle! :)

Enjoy the site,

Tom

Beware that if the metal joint in the wiper arm can touch the windscreen, it can potentially smash your screen if the wiper arm is lifted & released carelessly (For example, when washing the car, or scraping off ice).

Hello,

Does your car have the 'floppy wiper'? Later A2s came with a wiper blade which has no visible metal support along the blade.
If not, you may consider upgrading. A new wiper arm is required to hold the new blade and the kit costs about £75, but it works much better than the old variety, is much quieter in operation and also presents less aerodynamic drag. It'd also solve your rattle! :)

Enjoy the site,

Tom

Yes I think it is floppy. Where can I get one of these newer ones?

Yes I think it is floppy. Where can I get one of these newer ones?

The 'floppy' blades are the newer ones. As the driver of a 2004 car, you should have the later style.
I'm guessing that the rivets at the end of the wiper arm are worn, resulting in slack. The slack is taken up by the arm pressing the 'head' down against the glass. Normally speaking a small rubber 'nipple' stops the metal touching the glass, but that commonly goes missing.
A new arm and blade for £75 possibly is your best bet to solve all problems.

Tom

The 'floppy' blades are the newer ones. As the driver of a 2004 car, you should have the later style.
I'm guessing that the rivets at the end of the wiper arm are worn, resulting in slack. The slack is taken up by the arm pressing the 'head' down against the glass. Normally speaking a small rubber 'nipple' stops the metal touching the glass, but that commonly goes missing.
A new arm and blade for £75 possibly is your best bet to solve all problems.

Tom

If you want a 'holding' option cheaper than a complete replacement, Awesome (in Irlam) managed to sort out a few months ago for me [with a 2005 model] some sort of impromptu taped silicone fix which seems to be doing a fine job in eliminating the noise so far.

Back