Jacking mishap - punched a hole in the chassis

Exe_Chris

One side of the car was on an axle stand, with a piece of wood between the stand and the car. While I was jacking the other side up, this piece of wood split in half. Consequently, it stopped supporting the car, and the car slipped. The piece of the chassis near the front left jacking point fell onto the axle stand, and a hole got punched through. I took a photo (below), sorry that the angle is a bit off but obviously the hole in question is the one on the left.
How much of an issue is this? Will it be an MOT advisory or a straight fail? Does it need to be repaired regardless? Thanks.
bipaZRM.jpg

This damage will need rectifying asap, not that it really constitutes an MOT failure, but because you'll get water ingress which will in time cause issues with the electrics under the floor.

Anyone who can weld aluminium can do this cheaply and fairly easily. Make sure that there's a good weatherproofing of the aluminium repair afterwards.

I've had a lot worse chassis damage repaired. Normal garages rarely have facilities for aluminium welding. I found that garages that do motorsport work will have better experience and equipment to do it. Mine was over 200miles from you, so not handy.

This damage will need rectifying asap, not that it really constitutes an MOT failure, but because you'll get water ingress which will in time cause issues with the electrics under the floor.

Anyone who can weld aluminium can do this cheaply and fairly easily. Make sure that there's a good weatherproofing of the aluminium repair afterwards.

Thanks. Will water be an issue? It's right next to the drain hole and that's uncovered (maybe it should have a bung...).

I've had a lot worse chassis damage repaired. Normal garages rarely have facilities for aluminium welding. I found that garages that do motorsport work will have better experience and equipment to do it. Mine was over 200miles from you, so not handy.

Thanks. Good to know it isn't a major one. Learned my lesson anyway!

That's not a drain hole - it's a jacking point which has the cover missing - it's a locating hole which has a peg fit into it.

Back