Jdd bluemotion gearbox in a 90bhp

baguln

Hi, i have been reading various threads and have a few questions im hoping someone can answer.
1, with the duel mass flywheel about 1-2mm needs to be ground away inside the bell housing.
2, is the std 90 starter motor okay to use as the flywheel is very slightly bigger ?
3, is it better to fit a flywheel/clutch from a 75bhp or other variant IE polo ?
4, any pics of the unwanted mounting lugs that need to be cut away.

I have a friend that uses his company workshop so the job needs to be done in an evening and not carried over so would be nice to get everything done ready to bolt of and bolt on new in under 4 hours.

the car is already remapped as i work for elite remaps so the extra long gearing shouldnt be a problem.

Neil

i fitted a jdd 18 months ago, from memory it need a piece removing the bottom where the dogbone bolts on, plus a few washers on the bolts to prevent the mounting from vibrating on the gearbox. the top mounts need a small amount removing fron between the rearmost 2. easy enough to do as the gearbox casing is very soft. you will need some washers fited to the mounting bolts between the top mounting and the gearbox casing otherwise the gear cable mechanism fouls on the engine mounting. i would not fit a SMF as the chipped engine may transmit too much torque through the gearbox.
when you remove your gearbox compare and measure then and it will be apparent where the washers are needed and where you need to get the grinder out.
and lastly remove the inbound driveshaft joint from the gearbox to remove and re-fit as if fouls on the engine otherwise.
good luck

many thanks that the sort of answers im after, did you grind of any metal from inside the bell housing so the dmf could fit !!!
if so was it all the way round or just a certain point

i fitted a jdd 18 months ago, from memory it need a piece removing the bottom where the dogbone bolts on, plus a few washers on the bolts to prevent the mounting from vibrating on the gearbox. the top mounts need a small amount removing fron between the rearmost 2. easy enough to do as the gearbox casing is very soft. you will need some washers fited to the mounting bolts between the top mounting and the gearbox casing otherwise the gear cable mechanism fouls on the engine mounting. i would not fit a SMF as the chipped engine may transmit too much torque through the gearbox.
when you remove your gearbox compare and measure then and it will be apparent where the washers are needed and where you need to get the grinder out.
and lastly remove the inbound driveshaft joint from the gearbox to remove and re-fit as if fouls on the engine otherwise.
good luck

Hi Georgem,

Your car is listed as a 75 on your profile, so is your profile wrong?

Baguin was asking about this being done on a 90 not a 75 and the flywheel is different and is believed to rub on the inside of the bellhousing, due to the DMF setup.

Just trying to clarify this.

Steve B

Hi Steve

Ref (Q3) Baguin asked about using a TDi 75 flywheel on the TDI 90 engine so his comments about not fitting a SMF are valid.

I agree however it would have made things clearer if Georgem had indicated he did the conversion on a TDi 75

Cheers Spike

Hi Steve

Ref (Q3) Baguin asked about using a TDi 75 flywheel on the TDI 90 engine so his comments about not fitting a SMF are valid.

I agree however it would have made things clearer if Georgem had indicated he did the conversion on a TDi 75

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike, thank you for the clarification.

I have not been on form tonight, that is a couple of posts that were off the mark by me.

Sorry for any confusion caused. and thanks again for the clarification, that is important. We are all proud of the quantity and quality of the help given on here, so corrections/clarifications are ALWAYS welcome.

Steve B

thanks guys, I will prob stick with the DMF unless my flywheel/clutch appear worn when I drop the box, I will take of around 1.5mm from the bell housing inside before hand as this will help with the fitting time at the garage,
any pics of the lug that needs to be removed, any other pointers more than welcome keep it up guys

Just fitted a jdd to my 90 tdi with dual mass flywheel over the last two days. when you remove your original box and compare to the jdd you will have to grind a small amount of alloy away, it is about a inch square positioned where the starter fits in, simply measure across the bell housing ensuring the tape measure is across the centre shaft. Grind of any areas that are over the original size (mine was the one bit near starter Motor).
You will have to put spacer between the gearbox top mount (a few washers) so selector cable doesn't catch.
Lower mount will also need two washers.
I will post tomorrow picture of the washer placements. I didn't take any pictures of the gearbox, but it is very easy to grind off.
Pics to follow

036.JPG

Lower gearbox mount, two washers. Rear bolt thread can not be used, you will have to grind a bit off so the knuckle doesn't knock on the box.

037.JPG

lower mount, knuckle clear of the gearbox with a bit of the last bolt thread ground down.

038.JPG

Top mount nearest to front of car you will have to put a couple of washers so the gear selector does not catch the mount. you can only use two of the three bolts to secure the top mount, the center one isn't long enough so you could buy another, or just live with it! its more than secure once two are fitted.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem as much work as I had first thought. I thought the mounting points on the belhousing actually had to be ground down. Thanks for taking the time to post pictures, this is on my to-do list if and when I get any gearbox issues.

No probs,

Don't forget to undo the flange that the drive shaft fits onto, drivers side, or you can not re-align the gear box when you re-fit.

top man, just what im after, did you have to grind of any metal inside the bell housing so the flywheel would fit !! or did it slid over flywheel/bell housing okay

After measurement there was just one piece that was around one inch square and 4 mm high, just were the starter fits in (inside bell-housing), grind this away.

trust your tape measure and use a quality metal disc (don't forget googles and gloves!!).

Also cover up the release bearing as the alloy fillings get all over.

The JDD upgrade is possibly the best upgrade I have done, RPM lower, gears select super smooth, it just feels it was meant to be!

gearbox finally in, had to shave a bit of mounts as well as the other mods mentioned but all in and going well, next job lube selector cables they have always been a bit stiff with both gearboxes.
my vw mechanic friend who did most of the work said at the end why not change the internal gear sets bearings etc from JDD to old box, he said he could swp them in about 1.5 hours and just put old box back on with no modding !!! now he tells me LOL.
next job will be vnt1749va turbo either from a golf or seperate manifold from passat with the one runner cut and shut and use old mk3 exh manifold with adaptor for down pipe welded on.
should see an easy 140-150 bhp and better bottom end spooling.

I installed myself a JDD into my 2001 amf tdi. The original transmission was an EWQ. The original trans was too short for long motorway journeys and it was not in a top condition with 250.000km (heavy bearing sounds in 3. and 4.).
The installation went fine, I had to grind the top mount a bit and with a long screw + nut + washers I was able to use all 3 mounting holes. For the bottom mount I had to grind a lot to be able to fit it without washers. I also replaced the clutch and the rear main seal, there was no visible leaking but it turned out I was just right in time.

Some pics:

Back