Juddering clutch on 1.6 FSI

Trimley61

A2OC Donor
Have just joined this site after purchasing a 1.6 FSI SE June last year. Very happy with Elliot generally as he looks great in rare merlot metallic. Has covered just 55k with demonstrator and one owner before myself. There is only one thing I still haven't got used to however. When pulling away it is very easy to stall and judders, making it quite hard to drive smoothly. Local garage seemed to think it wasn't nothing to worry about, but was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Or is it something that isn't typical and requiring attention? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated! I still love looking at my car on the drive and presently is the only thing that might be of concern. James.

Has my FSI from 19000 miles old, now on 107000!
The clutch has always been brutal. Very light pedal action, but very binary in being engaged or not.
I find that with first gear being so low, its never a problem setting off. Also for smoother changes going up the gears, you need to have no throttle when changing up (do they still teach to clutch up, revs on together?).
Not sure from your post if this helps. If there are in gear judders then engine mountings might be suspect. The bottom one has gone on a few cars (pendulum mount), and I suspect might be due for replacement on my own car.

Hi,

The clutch on my 1.4 petrol does the same as you describe. This isn't normal, I have driven other A2s, but I would agree with chb that the take up is quite abrupt compared to some other cars. When working properly its something you should just get used to very quickly.
On my 1.4, I suspect that a previous owner may have "burnt" the clutch by slipping the clutch using very high revs e.g. when parking. The 1.4 petrol has next to no torque at low revs and it is easy to stall the engine if you aren't careful so I can see this being done. Once the clutch is "burnt" the friction face goes glassy which makes it stick more than slip so it engages abruptly. In bad cases the flywheel can warp due to overheating and this can also cause it to judder when slipping as it no longer provides a flat even surface when rotating. Contamination of the surface (e.g. by an oil leak) can also cause the symptoms.

Scary stuff over, I bought my car at 100K miles and have done 17K since. I'm still waiting for the clutch to wear out so that I can have a reason to replace it and the flywheel, its the original I believe. The first time I drove the car I stalled the engine trying to get away. It has got better over time as I have been using the car, its now quite easily pull away and drive slowly smoothly, probably as some of the bad surface has worn off. You can still tell that it isn't right as intentionally slipping the clutch causes a squeaking noise and mild juddering. At least the front of the car doesn't jump up and down any more! I tend to drive with quick gear changes anyway and most of my normal driving is on fast roads, its only really a problem moving off in first gear.

If the clutch is engaging well and has a good grip and you can adapt to it, you could simply leave it. It may get better over time. If not though you are probably looking a replacing the clutch plate and flywheel. 55K is a bit low for a clutch to wear out under normal circumstances, but the lifetime depends on driving style and road conditions.

My pendulum mount it shot too, but that causes the car to lurch when in first gear and lifting off or going back onto the power. That requires careful throttle control to drive smoothly. Not to get stuck in traffic helps too.

regards

Andrew

Thank you very much for your advice. It is only pulling away in first gear when clutch seems to do this. Might be better for now just to see how it goes and leave it how it is. The car has done very low mileage over last few years [2-3 k per year] and perhaps hasn't helped with the problem. I was thinking originally if it would help to slip the clutch with a few more revs to stop it sticking but it could make problem worse. James.

Back