Chat Just browsing

GhostyDog

Hi,

New member here looking at possibility of replacing my 147 GTA with a Audi A2 for a while. Swinging between getting something faster than my current car like a newish 350z or going the complete other direction and getting something economical (yet comfortable).

Always quite liked the A2 and had two A3s previously, a 2007 170bhp TDi Sportback with DSG and a 2005 2.0 TDi Manual.

I'm probably looking at a 1.4 TDi with the 90 bhp engine as I live in a VERY hilly area, open roof would be nice as would leather, climate and Bose which I have in my GTA.

With that list I reckon i'll be waiting a while but if the right car appears well then lucky me.

:)

Cheers

Sean

Well Sean, good look in the search - that's a very high spec there and you may have to settle on a mapped 75PS version.

If you want to pop over the hill to have a go in mine (which ticks all your boxes, but isn't for sale!), then feel free.

Cheers,

Mike

Well Sean, good look in the search - that's a very high spec there and you may have to settle on a mapped 75PS version.

If you want to pop over the hill to have a go in mine (which ticks all your boxes, but isn't for sale!), then feel free.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the kind offer Mike, if I don't find anything locally I may take you up on that.

Is there any real world difference between a remapped 75 bhp and a 90 bhp, are the engines actually different or is it just a different factory map on the 90 engine?

Certainly opens the scope up if that's the case.

:)

Sean

AFAIK there are a few subtle changes in the engines between the 75 and 90, but mostly it's a different turbo and ECU. The 90 is tangibly faster than the 75, but not a vast amount and certainly not after the 75 has been remapped. Since you're after a high spec A2 I'd keep my options open and look at both 75 and 90 versions.

If you want that spec then 'local' will have to cover the whole of the UK:D

I live close by in Skelmanthorpe with a good specced remapped '75' if you want to have a chat and a look sometime.

I don't think an A2 TDI 90 will quite compare to the Busso V6 - you own an utter classic and having been in a 350Z I suspect you'll find that a backwards step in performance, the engine is a very lazy lump - not a surprise as it was also used for the Renault Espace; it never felt like a sports-car despite many thinking they are the second coming...

If you're looking at an A2 TDI either the 75 or 90 will be considerably slower (no surprise) so I wouldn't stick to a 90 if spec is important. You can retro-fit BOSE but it involves a bit of work and leather seats do appear from time-to-time so if you find the right car then don't be afraid to spend some time getting it right.

However, unless you really want an economical A2 then keep the GTA - they are pant-dampingly luscious especially as nobody (Alfa included) makes an engine like that anymore.

Hey ULP, sounds like your an Alfisti or a lapsed one at that, in a perfect world I'd keep the GTA and continue to 'develop' it to a level where it would be truly legendary (3.8 conversion, Ferrari throttle body, etc.) but I just don't have the space to do that having only 2 allocated parking spaces which are tiny and the other one is filled up with a e92 MSport Coupe which has doors the size of the moon.

I may go back to Alfa in a few years when I have the space to play and may buy another GTA because as you say the engine is fabulous, just a little let down by the rest of the car really but given enough time and money that can be fixed.

That said it's cost me £10K in 2 years of ownership 2 failed gearboxes and some choice mods plus the running costs of sub 15 mpg take their toll and for the next couple of years I want something I can just get in drive and be comfortable in (the GTA is VERY raw with coilovers and ARB upgrade) and a A2 seems to fit the bill nicely.

Time will tell though, I might very well end up with a Maserati despite everything I say here, I am very impulsive with my car buying, heart tends to overule head. :D

Back