Just joined the realms of A2 ownership

Hi all,

Put a post on last night, but when I tried to edit somehow deleted it.

Anyway, since the weekend I am now the owner of a 2002 A2 1.4TDI SE in dolphin grey. My current mk4 Golf is getting tired with 208k on the clock and has been brilliant. Given that the car has one person in it most of the time I figured I would go smaller and cheaper for my commute. We also have a T5 Caravelle for ferrying the three little ones around.

I have been deliberating over various cars for the last twelve months, with the Mini Cooper D being a strong contender. I then discovered common problems with turbo oil starvation and wasn't keen on the lack of space inside. Somehow I kept coming back to the fascinating A2, despite having never driven or even sat in one.

A Facebook group brought up my little 2002 example, with a mere 170k on the clock! As it was only 45 miles away I had a look and discovered a tidy little car, if in need of some jobs. I paid £700 instead of the £850 asking price. It also has a brand new MOT.

Since getting the car home I am really impressed. I have the following jobs to do before I press it into daily use (still using the Golf):

Cambelt replacement - the roller seems to be noisy so I am not taking any chances. Will change this and the waterpump at the weekend
Gearchange - Not great. Has improved since adjusting the cables but the selector tower bearing is shot. Picking one up later to replace.
Door lock switches not working on offside - Hence no working fuel flap
Front end clunks - Drop links mentioned as advisory, so new ones on the way

There are a few other small jobs, but nothing major.

Looking forward to driving it and already finding this forum a mine of information, so I thank you all for that!

Cheers,
Paul

20170305_170423_resized.jpg

I have Steve. I'm sure it will prove very useful when I take things apart soon. :)

I hope so too, I have to do this on a car I have just bought and the drivers door microswitch is not working.

First one to finish can let the other one know how it went, but the instructions are great!!

After having a couple of A2s with lots of wind noise around the door seal I will not be removing the window frame! LOL

Steve B

Welcome to the club. Dolphin Grey is on of my favourite A2 colours. I can't wait to see pictures of it.

Euan

Back