K&N 57i...?

• Thread starter Deleted member 270
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 270

Hi all![21]
My audi guarantee of 2 years is almost done and now I am going to change the oil and my airfilter. I am going to put some full synthetic oil im my A2.

The reason why I am opening this topic is because I want an K&N 57i airfilter on my car. I searched the internet and couldn't find an K&N for the A2.

Does someone already have the K&N Airfilter in his A2[?]

Ufuk Koker

Hi Ufuk,

The drop-in replacement filter for the Tdi is the same airfilter as used for the BMW330d and 530d. On this link:

http://www.audi-a2club.de/thread.php?threadid=899&sid=&hilight=sportluftfilter

they say it's article number E-2658.
But that's not an 57i, which is the cone-shaped type, isn't it?

I'd advise you to read the entire article above. People who had it advise against it. Not only does it bring very little improvement, but some also say that the oil on these filters can build up on the 'air volume/weight' probe, causing many problems.

Personally I had K&N and Green airfilters in my previous Honda Civic and Renault Clio.
In the Clio is was a replacement filter, fitting in the original housing. It brought me nothing, no additional power and no nice sound either.
In the Civic I had one of these cone-shaped filters, replacing the original housing with chrome tubing and the filter behind the bumper, for cold air intake. Now THAT was nice change: it sounded incredible (big throaty roar when accelerating!) and brought a little extra performance too.

The 57i types have all kind of adapters to fit it on different diameters of tubing, I think. So if there is any room below the hood in an A2 (haven't looked myself) you should be able to fit it. But if that means that the filter ends up above or near hot engine parts, you can even lose performance, due to the hot, less oxygen rich air.

Search around some more on that German forum above. The visitors there are more adventureous than here ;).

Groeten!

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

@swiv Thank you for the advise...
@Stuart D I am Dutch and my german isn't good enough to translate it into another foreign language.

quote:Originally posted by Stuart_D

Ufuk, if you don'd mind, please can you translate and summarise the German article here for us non-German speakers?!

Sorry Stuart, my wrong. I put up the link (indeed assuming that Ufuk, being Dutch too, would be able to make enough sense of German).

Now, this article is a bit long and about several topics, so the easy way is this, Babelfish 'auto-translation':

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...did=899&sid=&hilight=sportluftfilter&lp=de_en

(can't get it to work somehow. Paste it together yourself if you really care for a laugh at Babelfishes translation)

My own super-quick sum-up:
- for turbo engines, a replacement air filter brings very little, if anything. Turbo's generate so much additional energy, that additional resistance for the air through a 'normal' filter means nothing compared to the energy added by the turbo. It only makes the turbo spin a little bit more freely, lessening the lag my fractions of a second, perhaps.
- replacement filters like those of K&N need to be cleaned regularly for really optimal performance, which means additional costs and trouble, especially in dusty environments
- excess filter-oil can end up on air mass meters, causing problems.

For non turbo engines, certain filters can bring some performance, and additional sound (depending on the type and placement).\
But overall, it is more of a gimmick than a useful accessory. The tubing can look real nice. But for an A2, the hood doesn't even come off! :)

Personally, I fell in love with the roar of a (cold) open air intake. No 3-cylinder diesel tractor can ever match that ;)

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT (finally!), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back