kind of struggling to start

scott

A2OC Donor
just to day I have been having problems starting my car, when I turn key to start it the car just turns over as if I have no petrol, to get it to start I have to give it a rev then it starts, its running rough at the moment aswell.
Any ideas of what it could be?? I thought of spark plugs not firing properly but seems to drive ok its only rough on tick over, plus it doesn't explain why I have to rev it to start it if its the spark plugs, maybe some sort of fuel starvation?

Thanks

Scott

Oh yea, just to add some times it starts fine. and It happened once last night aswell as today.

Thanks

Scott

hhmm.. i think it could be a coil pack or two that are dying? in the two years i have recently had my a2 my first one fail (40k miles).when buying my a2 i bought a pattern one from ebay for £7.50 and just kept it in the boot-so last DEC when i had my one fail i just swapped it one by one till it was good(yes it was the last one!). it ran really rough on idle but above 3k it was ok'ish. that cheep one recently failed so i have now swapped all coil packs for some £13 from ebay-then put the known good Audi ones in the boot.it will be interesting as to how long they last.
i recently helped Chris out(ulp) who had just had one fail on his fsi-we then talked about was it worth changing one or all? genuine or pattern? i believe Audi ones come with 5 year warranty? so its up to you.
can you get the car scanned to see what errors are logged? i recently bought a code reader(501) and am very happy with it-told me which one had failed last month:D it was only £65 so good value for money in my mind.

good luck mike

Yes I can get it scanned on Monday (if it lasts that long) so hopefully know then, are they difficult to change? If this is the problem, genuine ones sound the way to go. just hope I can get to work Monday, I have booked it into the garage next to my work for a gearbox oil change looks like he might be getting more money out of me!

Thanks for your reply

Scott

hi Scott they are really easy to change you need a small flat blade screwdriver--to open the wiring clips up and to help lever the coil pack off the plug itself. the hardest part is getting the connector off. you need to put a finger under the connector and hold the pull tag out and pull the plug-trickier than it sounds. number one cylinder coil pack is under the oil filler-but that is easy to take off first pull the small breather off from the filler then turn the whole assembly anti clockwise whilst gently levering the retaining clip on the lower left edge. cheers mike

Simmilar problem

Hi Mike,

I have had a problem starting once every 5 times I guess & the idle is rough around 850rpm.

This all happened since I had a cambelt change. Garage said it was rough when it came in but not as bad as it is now!

All a bit coincidental but do you think a new set of coils will help?

Any other ideas?

Thanks Stuart

Back