knocking/ banging noise from engine

R4VSE

Hi guys

I need some advice please

My work colleague has a Audi A2 90BHp that he has had for a few years now

But at lunch time we went out in his car and when he started up his car I could hear a constant knocking / Banging noise which was coming from his engine, its like a thump thump noise which comes and goes ever few seconds.. all the time no matter if the cars cold or hot or even driven for a long time, my friend said that it been like that for a while now

but the strange thing is that when he puts his foot on the clutch down the noise disappears..and you can’t here no knocking noises at all

I told him that I would post up the question on the A2 forum for him

Anyone ever heard of this before??

Thanks

Guys

This does ring the DMF alarm!

As a driver of a 90bhp TDI, this is a problem you're likely to encounter with your own A2 at some point, should you keep it long-term.
The 75bhp TDIs have a solid flywheel which is more reliable than the 90bhp's dual mass flywheel.

Tom

Last edited:
Does that mean the whole clutch needs replacing??

Or just the Dual mass flywheel??

Is the car still safe to drive??

Thanks for all you help guys

Personally, I think it makes sense to have the clutch replaced at the same time even if it's not strictly necessary, as the biggest expense of replacing a clutch is the labour time, and you'll have to open things up to replace the flywheel anyway.

The A2's clutch and flywheel are manufactured by LuK. Buying the parts through Audi just adds to the cost for the sake of a box with the Audi logo printed on it.
It's not possible to buy the single mass flywheel from LuK as Audi are the sole distributor for that part. However, the dual mass flywheel and the appropriate clutch plate can be bought from LuK.

Their sales department can be contacted on 01432 264264. Be sure to request clutch and flywheel kits, as these come with all the necessary bearings, etc. There are also 6 bolts for the flywheel and 6 for the clutch, which you might also wish to replace if you're planning on keeping the car long-term. They're available through Audi, at a price of 40p each!

Cheers,

Tom

Totally agree with Tom - if (as seems likely) it is a dual mass flywheel failure, get it done sooner rather than later and drive it extremely carefully in the meantime.
When you get the work done, it would be madness to not to change the entire clutch assembly as well as the flywheel kit as the innards are all out to do so anyway.

Quick video showing a DMF - new one vs. worn one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoxK1bgJI0Y&feature=player_embedded

Thanks guys for all you help i will show my friend this thread

As this is a common problem with A2 90bhp models, i think his car has under 60k will Audi do a good will gesture on the repair??

I would think that unlikely but no harm in asking I guess.

Thanks guys for all you help i will show my friend this thread

As this is a common problem with A2 90bhp models, i think his car has under 60k will Audi do a good will gesture on the repair??

If he keeps driving the car with the dual mass flywheel problems, can the car suffer any other damage??

Well eventually the car will stop working as there will be no drive forces going from engine via gearbox to wheels! I guess the vibrations could cause some damage, and you never know what might happen to the gearbox if the flywheel shears off when under load... I'd say get it fixed sooner rather than later, and take it easy in the meantime.

As Dan said, goodwill on a 'wearing' part is unlikely but you have some chance if you have an Audi service history and you only ask for goodwill on the dual mass flywheel and not the clutch. Tell them that if there are no signs of blueing / overheating on the flywheel face there must have been a quality problem with the flywheel which resulted in its failure.

Cheers Spike

Hi Guys

My friend called up his local garage and they also mentioned that when he gets his clutch and fly wheel done he also should get the slave cylinder changed..

What is a slave cylinder and is it needed??? or is the garage trying to pull a fast one to change more parts not needed??

Back