knocking over bumps (not arb)

T

Tony Gee

Hi, I wonder if anyone cane help me, I fitted new arb to my 02 A2 petrol, which cured one knock, only to be followed by another, this occurs going over a hard bump with the front o/s wheel, sounds like the suspension strut is hitting metal in the top mount, is there a bush or nylon cup up there that wears out, or does it mean a new strut?
Incidentally guys, dont let let garages rip you off with the arb problem, the bushes are only about a tenner from Audi and are quite easy to fit, just measure the the thickness of your roll bar before you order them, as there are two sizes.
Many thanks,
Tony

Hi Tony, welcome to the A2oc
I assume the plastic sleeves on the original roll bar were cracked so these were removed and smaller bore Polo bushes fitted. If the roll bar is not clamped tightly with the new bushes or the bar was not centralised before clamping everything up then its possible the bar is contacting part of the suspension - see extract from an earlier post from one of our club members.............

''BTW, the anti roll bar knocking appears to be totally unrelated to the spring. It appears to have moved towards the passenger side which means the curve on the drivers side is not clearing the suspension above it.

My father had a similar problem on a Fiat Marea. He pushed it back into place (not an easy job) and then secured with with a jubilee clip to stop it moving again. It's worked for him as he hasn't had a problem for 3 years. I'll try this and see if it remedies it.

The bushes look fine, only problem is that the ARB has moved. Regards Ken''

Depending how loud the noise was its also possible the suspension just bottomed out - see link for more info http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4257&highlight=bump+sounded

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back