Koni FSD Kit 2100-4041

P

pete 1951

Hi everyone I have a 2004 1.4 sport and just wondered if anybody has fitted the Koni FSD Kit 2100-4041 and how do they perform. My sport is fine on good roads but like a skate board on uneven roads

koni fsd set.

Hi pete1951, i have them fitted on my 1.4 petrol 2001 year, and they are excellent, don't think you could better them anywhere in regards( to A2 cars), but not sure of A2 sports using them, as it would seem to be defeating the reasons for having 'sports' set up, if you require comfort and grip then go for it, Cheers ALAN.

Tank, my A2, was origianlly a Sport model and I too have FSDs fitted - I can definitely say that they are an upgrade on the OE kit.

Handling at all speeds and on all surfaces is vastly improved and there is no loss of that Sporty feel at all - go for them, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi everyone I have a 2004 1.4 sport and just wondered if anybody has fitted the Koni FSD Kit 2100-4041 and how do they perform.

Hi, a short summary of the most recommended A2-suspension setups you will find here:

You notice that Koni FSD shocks for the A2 (SE and Sport) are quite popular both in Britain and Germany.
They transform the car distinctly meaning much enhanced comfort on poor road surface (at high shock motion frequencies) plus even sharper handling capabilities (at low frequencies) than the underdamped stock A2 sport suspension due to the FSD specific adaptive rebound damping characteristics.

Please post your experiences after the upgrade in one of the FSD-threads...

thanks for coming to the rescue again did you fit new spring or stick with the old and is the ride softer on uneven roads ?

Well, the main reason for the harsh ride of any stock A2 is the failed Audi damper setup, not the spring rate/characteristic..

did you fit new spring or stick with the old and is the ride softer on uneven roads ?

As for comfort improvement on uneven roads, please explore the above posted link showing a list of different A2 approved suspension setups - mainly Koni FSD related and complemented with significant driver reviews.

Be it the A2 stock height or sport edition springs, both do harmonise well with the Koni FSD shocks. :)

It is always advisable to replace the 4 inexpensive yellow rubber bump stops prone to crumble away over the years (due to the bad characteristic of all A2 stock suspension to bottom-out frequently). At the same time you also should swap the 2 non-expensive strut bearings prophylactically.

In case of using lowering sport springs such like the recommendable minus 30 mm products by WEITEC or ABT, we generally need to
shorten the 4 yellow rubber bump stops
(at 30 mm) to retain sufficient residual spring travel.

Last edited:
Hi all.

I have just started work on mod'ing my '52 TDi SE A2 after a spring cracked on the front O/S. I have decided to replace all of the springs and shocks whilst it is in the shop. I have bought a set of the Koni FSDs and a set of Weitec 30/30 lowering springs. I am awaiting delivery of these now and the car will go in to get them fitted next week. However, whilst it is all apart I would dearly like to replace the four bump stops with new ones (and possibly trim them down a bit) and replace the strut top bearings too. Would anyone happen to have part numbers for the aforementioned parts so I can save time at the dealers, and/or any advice on what I am having done?

Many thanks all and a belated Happy New Year to you all.

Onward and upwards. The brakes will be changed next month and then a remap/cruise/HID upgrade and cambelt/water pump change during the spring. Can't wait !! :D

Cheers,

Lee

I'll steal one of Schnelletrecker's posts from the German forum:

Strongly recommended to change:

8Z0 412 301 , Anschlagpuffer für Stossdämpfer vorne (2 Stück) - front bump stop
6Q0 512 131 B , Anschlagpuffer für Stossdämpfer hinten (2 Stück) rear bump stop
6 N0 412 249 C , Axial-Rillenkugellager (für Domlager) (2 Stück) - (i can't translate this!)

Kostenpunkt zusammen etwa EUR 70,- Brutto

suggested:

8Z0 511 149 A , Unterlage unten (Federteller hinten) 2 Stück EUR 9,30 - "washer" - rear, bottom of the damper
1J0 512 149 B , Unterlage oben (Federteller hinten) 2 Stück EUR 5,83 - "washer" rear, top of the damper
6N0 413 175 A , Faltenbalg (Staubschutz f. Dämpferkolbenstange vorne) 2 Stück EUR 13,80 dust protection for the front damper
1J0 513 425 A , Schutzrohr (Staubschutz f. Dämpferkolbenstange hinten) 2 Stück EUR 10,47 protection tube for the rear damper
8Z0 411 315 D , Koppelstange (über Ebay am preiswertesten) 2 Stück EUR 19,- droplinks
N 019 530 3 , Sechskantbundschraube 6 Stück EUR 5,36 Screw
N 101 064 02 , Sechskantbundmutter, selbstsichernd 4 Stück EUR 2,24 nut
N 101 389 02 , Sechskantbundschraube 4 Stück EUR 3,24 screw
N 102 078 03 , Sechskantschraube 4 Stück EUR 8,33 screw
N 102 613 10 , Sechskantbundmutter 2 Stück EUR 0,60 nut
N 102 861 10 , Sechskantbundmutter, selbstsichernd 2 Stück EUR 0,95
N 104 018 01 , Sechskantbundmutter 2 Stück EUR 2,24
N 905 173 02 , Sechskantschraube 2 Stück EUR 1,79
N 906 484 02 , Sechskantschraube 4 Stück EUR 5,71
N 909 081 01 , Sechskantbundmutter 2 Stück EUR 2,98

HtH

Bret

The brakes will be changed next month and then a remap/cruise/HID upgrade and cambelt/water pump change during the spring. Can't wait !! :D

Cheers,

Lee

I trust that Stealth will be high on your list for the remap and cambelt and that I can quote you for cruise and HIDs.

Cheers,

Mike

Would anyone happen to have part numbers for the aforementioned parts so I can save time at the dealers, and/or any advice on what I am having done?

Hello Lee,

you definitely need to shorten the 4 yellow bump stops at 30 mm each in combination with the WEITEC springs.

The shortening procedure is shown here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=70725#post70725

The list above posted by Bret includes all front and rear screws and nuts. Some of them are self-locking. Depending on the amount of rust these small parts may be changed too. Same applies to the plastic dust protectors if there are cracks...

In the end the most recommendable parts to exchange are:
  • 8Z0 412 301 -------- front bump stop (material = PUR)
  • 6Q0 512 131 B ------ rear bump stop (material = PUR)
  • 6 N0 412 249 C ----- front top strut bearing
  • 8Z0 511 149 A ------ bottom rear spring seat (material = PUR)
  • 1J0 512 149 B ------ top rear spring seat (material = black hard rubber)

Are those part numbers also for LHD?
I want to change my old shocks with FSD's and i'd like to have a full code list to give to the parts shop.
If not the codes, i'd do with the name of the parts.
When changing the shocks, is it simple to change the ARB bushes also?
Thanks.

Last edited:
only parts beginning with 8z1 or 8z2 are LHD or RHD-specific (in that order). So just give them that list.

The ARB bushes are a slightly different kettle of fish; while you've got the wheel off and the droplink out, then yes, it would make sense, but you'll need to make sure the ARB is in the right place.

Bret

Thanks for all the info Guys. That is exactly what I was looking for. Amazing. Thank you all so much. I will let you know how I get on and what I think of the new set up.

@Mike.

I will deffo be going to stealth for the re-map and there is only one place to go for the cruise !! I will contact you when I am ready for the cruise to be fitted. Thanks.

Cheers,

Lee

Are those part numbers also for LHD?

Hi trex,

like Bret already pointed out the suspension related part numbers are non-specific regarding RHD/LHD, they're universal.

Because of the quite poor road surface condition in your country, I highly recommend to change your front springs prophylactically too.

There's a huge thread in the German A2 forum listing all the members suffering from broken left and/or right front stock A2 springs:

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=17553

So the front stock springs of all A2 models are of bad steel quality. Or they have been hardened incorrectly...

If you don't intend to change to quality lowering springs such like ABT or WEITEC, there's in fact one high quality alternative to the stock height A2 springs:

Springs made by SPIDAN.​

The Spidan springs come with
  • identical spring rate,
  • identical height,
  • linear characteristic like the original A2 springs
but they aren't prone to break at all!

Please have a look here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=63326&highlight=spidan#post63326

In your case (1.4 TDI) #49515 are the correct SPIDAN front springs.

Well I have all my bits now. The Koni FSDs arrived this morning, I have the Weitec 30/30s and new strut bearings, bump stops, spring seats and dust covers. Just a case of booking her in at the local garage and getting it all fitted.

My brakes were shot as well, so I got the Mintex kit for the front with the pads and discs and a set of shoes for the rear too. I will get them changed along with the track rod ends (MOT Caution last year) at the same time as the suspension. I will ask them to change the brake fluid too.

It should be like a new car when I get it back.

Can't wait. Will let you all know how I get on and my impressions.

Cheers all !!!

Lee

PS: Changed the flasher unit at the weekend too. That had gone and it took me about twenty minutes with the cubby hole and climate control panel removed. A little tricky but not too bad. After changing and inspecting the indicators, I noticed that my OSF fog lamp is smashed. Must have been one of the encounters I had with a motorway gritter over the Xmas hols. Are these lamps pricey?

Last edited:
How much for the FSD kit?
How much for a slightly lowered spring kit?

Not that I'm considering more mods you understand, but...

FSD kit was £408 from Awesome GTI and the Weitecs were £126 from EuroPerformance.co.uk.

When I went to the Stealers to get all the little ancilliary parts, I was asked for my reg number to confirm the car model and type, etc. I was informed that the top and bottom, rear spring packers that were on the suggested parts to change list were never fitted to my car. I bought them anyway. What does this mean? It is an SE. Were these packers only fitted to Sports or Standards and not SEs or 1.2s maybe? Or are they just for petrols? Will they work OK on my Diesel 14.TDI 75 SE?

What does this mean? It is an SE. Were these packers only fitted to Sports or Standards and not SEs or 1.2s maybe? Or are they just for petrols? Will they work OK on my Diesel 14.TDI 75 SE?

That's strange since all A2s (except for 1.2) come with identical suspension mounts, spring perches, springs seats etc.

So the bottom and top rubber rear spring seats will fit your 1.4 TDI SE as well and definitely should be mounted...

Excellent. Thanks for that. Maybe the guy was looking at the wrong spares sheet or something. Strange. Good job I got them then.

Ciao!!

Auxiliary parts questions

Hello everybody

I know A2OC since 2007 but this is my first post on it.
I live in France, near Paris.
I have a TDI 75HP of june 2001 with 130000 km (80778 miles). Standard chasis.

As I Am about to receive a Koni FSD set from Great Britain, I also would like to change the main parts listed in this thread.
The problem is that on the internet, for the same part, I have many choices.

For the "rear bump stop".
%5Cmedia%5CBMP%5Cvignettes130%5C101%5C23414.jpg

(the pic is for a 85mm)
I have to choose between
- a 120mm long : 6X0 512 131 A (I suppose that this one is not for A2)
- a 127mm (this one is indicated NOT FOR PR G22 . What is it about ? ) : 6Q0 512 131 B
- a 140mm : 8Z0 512 131 C
All are indicated for AMF engine (which is the engine of my A2, sounds good)

For the front bump stop :
%5Cmedia%5CBMP%5Cvignettes130%5C101%5C23526.jpg

(on the picture it's a 140mm)
I have to choose between :
- a febi bilstein (#23506) whithout length indication. indicated to be compatible with 8Z0 412 301. for Standard chasis
- a 65mm long which is for 8Z0 412 301 D. Designed FOR PR G22 (??)
- a 85mm long 8Z0 412 301 D for non sport chasis.

All are told to be for AMF engine.

What if I order the longest ones as I'm not against hiring up the car. The 140mm for rear and the 85mm for front ?
What are the consequences on comfort and road handling ?
Are they still compatible whith Koni FSD set?

for the "front top strut bearing" (6N0 412 249 C), the internet vendors proposes two type of articles
this :
KB657.13.jpg

or only this :
%5Cmedia%5CBMP%5Cnormal%5C101%5C22498.jpg

Thank you all, for your answers.
I also apologize for my poor english

Back